Timeline for Pathology residency interview?? 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathohanks

Reaction score
Do pathology residency programs send invitations for an interview in Jan and Feb???? I have seen the pathology residency spreadsheet where the programs have sent the maximum number of invites already. Any chance of cancelations and receiving IVs later in the season. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how many people applied in a given year. Some will extend invitations in early January. These are usually bottom tier gross-horse programs catering to the desperate or mid-tiers that have exhausted their supply of AMG or qualified IMG candidates. I wouldn’t hold your breath on it, but it happens.

Depends on how many people applied in a given year. Some will extend invitations in early January. These are usually bottom tier gross-horse programs catering to the desperate or mid-tiers that have exhausted their supply of AMG or qualified IMG candidates. I wouldn’t hold your breath on it, but it happens.
Thank you for your reply. I have received 4 IVs so far and really want to maximize my chances of matching. I heard people are hoarding IVs this year due to the fact that interviews are being done virtually this year. Can you expect more cancellations as the season go on?? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. I have received 4 IVs so far and really want to maximize my chances of matching. I heard people are hoarding IVs this year due to the fact that interviews are being done virtually this year. Can you expect more cancellations as the season go on?? Thank you for your time.
That is a difficult question to answer. You are probably right that people will attend more interviews due to not having to travel or pay. At the same time, programs may offer more interviews because no infrastructure is needed to host. I would go forward with the ones you have assuming that is all you will be offered and have a contingency plan if you are not accepted. If new ones are offered, great news. Good luck

I am tired of these hypothetical questions! If your application was up to part you should have had at least 15 pathology interviews by now. I keep saying this! I know from my own personal experience and from friends applying this year. You may get one or two more from some cancellations but the majority of interviews are out by now.

Last edited: