Timeline for residency apps...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottomlesspit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I fear I've rather screwed myself over in terms of my timeline for residency applications and away rotations. It's taken me *forever* to decide on an ob-gyn residency -- to the point where I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year med school to engage in international clinical research while making up my mind. I'm currently still abroad working on an infectious disease research project, but am now excited to apply to ob-gyn residencies.

However, I have not even started any applications for away rotations, and other than my core ob-gyn rotation at my home institution, I haven't even yet taken any subI's in ob-gyn. Given the status of my current research project, it would be better to stay abroad until mid-July -- which means I wouldn't be able to get started on residency app stuff until end of July. Am I being anal over 3 weeks, or should I really go home to start taking my OB subI's in early July? Do I even have time now to apply to away rotations?

Sorry for the lengthy post ...

Members don't see this ad.

Relax!

First of all, your solid research & the international experience is worth (if not more) as much as a Sub-I. So stay focused and finish what is at hand:thumbup:

Secondly, you can perform a sub-I anytime up to January before the Rank Order List goes, so there is no ruch to do one in July/Aug when you're likely to get lost in the shuffle with the interns running around. An optimal time would be November.

Lastly, eventhough some places are very strict about setting up sub-I's, most others are flexible. Just wait till you're back and go for it then. Most programs are right now busy planning intern/fellow orientations anyway.

Best of luck on your project!

I fear I've rather screwed myself over in terms of my timeline for residency applications and away rotations. It's taken me *forever* to decide on an ob-gyn residency -- to the point where I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year med school to engage in international clinical research while making up my mind. I'm currently still abroad working on an infectious disease research project, but am now excited to apply to ob-gyn residencies.

However, I have not even started any applications for away rotations, and other than my core ob-gyn rotation at my home institution, I haven't even yet taken any subI's in ob-gyn. Given the status of my current research project, it would be better to stay abroad until mid-July -- which means I wouldn't be able to get started on residency app stuff until end of July. Am I being anal over 3 weeks, or should I really go home to start taking my OB subI's in early July? Do I even have time now to apply to away rotations?

Sorry for the lengthy post ...

First, I wouldn't worry too much. International time off is a perfectly good excuse not to have everything together in a nice little bunch. Secondly, I think that it might be too late to get an away right now, whether or not you come back early (which I don't recommend - when else will you have time to spend weeks abroad without a worry?).

I applied to do away rotations in two different years (I was a fourth year twice since I took a year off in the middle of my fourth year) and both times, I didn't get any of them. I applied in June one year and in April the next and everything was either booked or schedules didn't match up. I applied for aways in California.

I say do well on your ob/gyn subIs at your home institution and work on your overall application while you're abroad (personal statement especially) if you feel like you need a jump.