Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempleMD2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to this so please be patient with my questions.

I am still finishing my undergrad studies. I went directly to college right after high school in 2002. At that point I had no intention of doing anything in the medical field, so I started my communications degree. I finished my first two years and decided I was unhappy and needed a break. I took some time off and began volunteering at a Childrens Hospital in the area. I've been volunteering there since 2004. From this experience I decided that my heart is set in helping others and, in turn, I decided to return to school and start taking classes to hopefully get into medical school. I am going back in January to finish my degree and start taking my pre-med requirements.

I had already, thankfully, taken some of the pre-med requirements in my first two years (unknowingly at that time, actually). I also know that because I decided a little later than most what I "really want to be when I grow up" it may end up taking longer to graduate which is okay with me (I'm only 22) But my question is, if I'm able to complete the requirements in the next 2.... 2 1/2 years (working my butt off, of course) what is my timeline looking like? I've read what a traditional pre-med student's schedule for MCATS and applications looks like, but I'm having a hard time finding information that would benefit me.

I've spoken with the pre-med advisor at my university and, unfortunately, she was very little help and told me to come back "when I got my things together" Maybe it is because I haven't officially started taking those pre-med classes, but I thought her answer to be rude, especially because it's not like I was a bad student when I previously attended the university. Actually if she actually took the time to look she would have seen my GPA was 3.7 and I was in the honors program. I will go back to her because I know it's important to build a good report with her, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

So if anybody could help me... 1. what do you think my timeline looks like and 2. when should I return to see this not-so-helpful advisor?

Thanks for any suggestions or any other helpful information

Members don't see this ad.

I would also consdier myself a non-traditional student. I graduated college in 2002 with a computer science degree. Spent 3 years in the IT industry before making the decision to try for med school. During undergrad, I had only completed 8 credits of Bio and 8 credits of english that I could count toward my pre-med prerequisites.

If you're ready to bust your ass, you can complete the rest of the pre-reqs in a year - that's what I ended up doing:

Summer 2005 - Did 8 credits of Chem
Fall 2005 - 4 credits each of Physics and Orgo
Spring 2006 - 4 credits each of Physics 2, Orgo 2

I also started studying for the MCATs in late Fall 2005. I ended up taking the April 2006 MCAT - So, I essentially took the MCATs before completing all my pre-med pre-reqs (The stuff they teach at the end of Physics 2/Orgo 2 is not covered in much detail, if at all, on the MCATs). I actually think this helped, because typical pre-med students finish the pre-reqs freshman/sophomore years and then take the MCAT at the end of their junior year. In my case, everything was still fresh in my head. In addition, I would highly recommend taking the Kaplan course if you can afford it, especially since you are not a science major. Bottom line, I ended up getting a 31 on the MCATs.

Anyway, as for your timeline - If you're on a two year plan, I'd consider beginning to study for the MCATs 3-4 months before the day you plan on taking them.

In addition, although it seems very far away at this point, start considering what med schools to apply to and what entrance criteria they have. If you pass your pre-reqs with flying colors, I'd say you're a very competitive candidate - By the time you apply, you'll be older and wiser, plus you'll be coming into medicine with a different viewpoint - criteria that I think helped me get in (Right now, I've gotten into two - one Osteopathic and one Allopathic - and am still waiting to hear back from a few more).

Anyway, just remember, if this is what you really want, just put the blinders on and focus on getting in. GOOD LUCK!

Hi guys. I'm new to this so please be patient with my questions.
I've spoken with the pre-med advisor at my university and, unfortunately, she was very little help and told me to come back "when I got my things together" Maybe it is because I haven't officially started taking those pre-med classes, but I thought her answer to be rude, especially because it's not like I was a bad student when I previously attended the university. Actually if she actually took the time to look she would have seen my GPA was 3.7 and I was in the honors program. I will go back to her because I know it's important to build a good report with her, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

So if anybody could help me... 1. what do you think my timeline looks like and 2. when should I return to see this not-so-helpful advisor?

Thanks for any suggestions or any other helpful information

Being 22 and having a 3.7 GPA gives you a HUGE advantage. It would take a year and a half and that is if you went both summer sessions knocking out classesd. If you get a 30 or higher on the MCAT I'd say your pretty much set....who needs those pre med advisors anyway. You can find out what you need pretty much here or on the web....8 hours of BIO, 16 hours of CHEM, 8 hours of PHYS, and 3 Math; it also depends on where your applying but thats the general requirements. Unless your looking at Puerto Rican schools where you are required to have 12 hours of Spanish and be bi lingual.