Timing for Step II for Dummies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As it stands right now, I'm 12 weeks behind most of my other classmates (I'm an MS-III). I took an extra 6 to study for Step I (which was worth the extra study time) and am taking 6 now just because I need some time off. I'll be completely finished with my rotations around the end of next September.

Is the timing of Step II anything like the MCAT, i.e., the earlier you take it the better? I figure to take a few weeks to study for the thing, which would put me right around the end of next November and am just wondering if this is "too late."

If it means anything, I wound up with a 224 on Step I. Mind you, I'm not looking for a San Francisco plastics or orthopedics residency, but I am considering things like ER, surgery, OB (location doesn't matter). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you take it by the deadline your school gives you (some schools say December, others say by graduation), you can take it whenever. THe advantage of taking it early is that if you do well, it's like adding icing to the cake on your application. The disadvantage is if you do poorly and take it early, it could hurt you.

If you take it in November, you still will have time to report your scores to programs before they rannk you.

My philosophy was, take it as soon after third year as possible, since I'll just slowly start to forget all the core information (OB/peds/psych/IM/FP) as fourth year rolls on.