Timing of application(clinical hours)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomego

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am currently sitting on four waitlists and preparing for the worst while hoping for the best, ie preparing my application for next cycle. The main question I have is with regard to timing for submitting my application, specifically my TMDSAS. No, I am not a Texas resident but my wife is from there and we are planning on moving there after I finish my last prerequisite course in June. I realize I will not be considered a resident but regardless, there are a number of reasons for us to move.

I am a nontraditional student who applied last cycle but looking back probably should have waited a cycle. I guess my age, I am 31, made me feel old for applying to medical school and so I rushed it(yes, I realize many others much older than me apply but I still feel pretty far on that bell curve). The greatest weakness I had last cycle was my lack of clinical experience. Looking back, I only had 40 hours shadowing a cardiologist. Since then, I have shadowed a family practice doctor for another 40 and more importantly, starting working as a CNA. I completed my course in February and have been working full time since then and if I apply next week, will have about 300 hours. The question I have is whether I should delay submitting my application until the beginning of June along with my AMCAS application so that I have more hours. Will doubling my shadowing hours and 300 hours as a CNA I did not have last cycle be enough to help in my reapplication or should I hold off until I have more, such as 400 or 500? I am leaning towards applying early. I plan to work as a CNA until I get into medical school and it is something I can mention if I were given an interview but is it not enough at this point to get that interview?

I have improved my application in other ways that may influence what you have to say. I perform research in an organic chemistry lab and when applying last cycle, I only had 80 hours under my belt. I am now around 500. I have no publications but my professor is finalizing a paper he will name me as an author. I know it doesn’t matter now but again it is something I expect to happen this summer and I could mention in interviews.

Statswise, I am ~3.75 cGPA and a 3.65 sGPA. 514 MCAT. My freshman year from over a decade ago is what initially turned me away from medicine and to law school. I did very well in law school at a mid tier program and am a patent attorney. I have more volunteering hours than I did last cycle and my grades from all the classes I have taken since my primary last year have improved my GPA. I applied to 15 schools last cycle and had 4 II and am now on 4 WL. If something else would help you give me advice, feel free to ask.

Sorry this turned so long but as you can tell, I have been dwelling on it a lot. Anyways, the main question I have is whether or not I should wait for more clinical hours or submit my application earlier. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Submit your application as early as possible. I know from personal experience it's not worth waiting to add some more hours.