Timing of application(clinical hours)

Started by Tomego
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tomego

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I am currently sitting on four waitlists and preparing for the worst while hoping for the best, ie preparing my application for next cycle. The main question I have is with regard to timing for submitting my application, specifically my TMDSAS. No, I am not a Texas resident but my wife is from there and we are planning on moving there after I finish my last prerequisite course in June. I realize I will not be considered a resident but regardless, there are a number of reasons for us to move.

I am a nontraditional student who applied last cycle but looking back probably should have waited a cycle. I guess my age, I am 31, made me feel old for applying to medical school and so I rushed it(yes, I realize many others much older than me apply but I still feel pretty far on that bell curve). The greatest weakness I had last cycle was my lack of clinical experience. Looking back, I only had 40 hours shadowing a cardiologist. Since then, I have shadowed a family practice doctor for another 40 and more importantly, starting working as a CNA. I completed my course in February and have been working full time since then and if I apply next week, will have about 300 hours. The question I have is whether I should delay submitting my application until the beginning of June along with my AMCAS application so that I have more hours. Will doubling my shadowing hours and 300 hours as a CNA I did not have last cycle be enough to help in my reapplication or should I hold off until I have more, such as 400 or 500? I am leaning towards applying early. I plan to work as a CNA until I get into medical school and it is something I can mention if I were given an interview but is it not enough at this point to get that interview?

I have improved my application in other ways that may influence what you have to say. I perform research in an organic chemistry lab and when applying last cycle, I only had 80 hours under my belt. I am now around 500. I have no publications but my professor is finalizing a paper he will name me as an author. I know it doesn’t matter now but again it is something I expect to happen this summer and I could mention in interviews.

Statswise, I am ~3.75 cGPA and a 3.65 sGPA. 514 MCAT. My freshman year from over a decade ago is what initially turned me away from medicine and to law school. I did very well in law school at a mid tier program and am a patent attorney. I have more volunteering hours than I did last cycle and my grades from all the classes I have taken since my primary last year have improved my GPA. I applied to 15 schools last cycle and had 4 II and am now on 4 WL. If something else would help you give me advice, feel free to ask.

Sorry this turned so long but as you can tell, I have been dwelling on it a lot. Anyways, the main question I have is whether or not I should wait for more clinical hours or submit my application earlier. Thank you very much.
 
Submit your application as early as possible. I know from personal experience it's not worth waiting to add some more hours.