timing of COMLEX/USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always thought that everyone takes COMLEX/USMLE at one time (like how MCAT used to be offered twice a year). But it seems like people are taking it at different times. Could you please clarify me on this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

If you take both USMLE and Comlex, how far apart do you take them and which first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone had suggested gearing your studies for the USMLE, taking the USMLE first, and the COMLEX two weeks later, allowing time to review OMM. Sounds good to me.

I don't think you can go wrong taking one earlier than the other, just personal preference i suppose.

I studied as if I were taking USMLE (less focused on molecular genetics and biochem) and spent a day studying OMM prior to COMLEX. Used First Aid and QBank for USMLE.

Took a week off to brush up on molecular, biochem, and review one more time and took USMLE.

I thought COMLEX was easier and since DO students do better on that anyway, I would suggest taking that first and getting a feel for taking the board exams and the computer program.

If you take USMLE, you should aim to do equal or better than your COMLEX (or else it can hurt you...as in, you did well on a DO exam but worse on a MD exam). So using COMLEX to prep for USMLE was my approach.

Warning though, your friends only taking COMLEX will be done, you'll go out and party, and thinking of studying for another week is torture. It's questionable how much you really retain in addition to what you already knew in that time between exams. I think 2 - 6 days between the exams would work.

Just what I did and what I'd do again. Good luck! It'll be over soon.

CP

I am taking USMLE first b/c, imo, studying for genetics/biochem/molecular bio etc takes more time than OMT. Everything else is the "same" material, maybe the questions are asked differently but who cares. So I am taking USMLE then 2 days to study OMT and then COMLEX...At our school we always cram for OMT practicals the weekend b/f the test...so 2 days should be enough without losing too much of the other information...but it's up to you, just do what cuddlepuppy said and not wait too long in between both.

I took USMLE about 2 weeks prior to COMLEX. I liked this way because I didn't have to even THINK about OMM until after USMLE was done. Whichever you take first just be sure to leave a week or so in-between so that your brain and body can have some time to recover. You don't want to take either test when you are burned out. Also congrats on the decision to take USMLE. Bravo!

According to our test taking strategies Kaplan review session last week...Take the COMLEX first & USMLE about 2 weeks later. In those 2 weeks you are supposed to review more Biochem, Molecular, & Biostats.

Take it for what it's worth, but the guy did write that section of the Kaplan books....

Just remember, 22% of the COMLEX questions are OMT/NMM.

Just remember, 22% of the COMLEX questions are OMT/NMM.

Serious? Doesn't that seem a bit high? Even if that includes questions where its in the stem but isn't neccessary to answer, that seems high.

According to our test taking strategies Kaplan review session last week...Take the COMLEX first & USMLE about 2 weeks later. In those 2 weeks you are supposed to review more Biochem, Molecular, & Biostats.

Take it for what it's worth, but the guy did write that section of the Kaplan books....

I am planning on reviewing one subject (OMM) after the USMLE, instead of covering several (biochem, molecular, biostats, ethics) after the COMLEX

Serious? Doesn't that seem a bit high? Even if that includes questions where its in the stem but isn't neccessary to answer, that seems high.

No joke. Many of your OMT questions will be neuro as well.

I scheduled them 6 days apart, USMLE first. It will take some discipline to not waste those days reflecting on the first exam. So just in case, I put them close together.

No joke. Many of your OMT questions will be neuro as well.

I agree, you will be amazed at how much OMM is on there. Even though the question may not seem like an OMM-only question, they will work OMM findings into the H & P and you have to decide how important those findings are. Some of them are downright confusing because all of their real medical information will point to one diagnosis, but you will recognize some OMM buzzword that leads you to another diagnosis. Confusing huh?

Moral of the story is not to blow off OMM. I hated OMM but I devoted over a week of intense studying of OMM for COMLEX (I still have post-traumatic stress disorder from that!). :)

This may be a dumb question, but don't most programs accept the COMLEX also? I am a first year interested in anesthesia. I have been looking at programs specifically to determine if they accept COMLEX or only USMLE. I guess I should just suck it up and take both but I hate molecular/genetics although, biochem was one of my best classes gradewise. What specialties are others on this thread considering?