Timing of electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Alyssa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my senior schedule. When is the optimal time to take 4th year electives in ob/gyn? I'm going to do one (or maybe 2) sub-Is. My goal is to learn more about the programs and hospitals.

June-Aug is when the new interns and chiefs come, which might be hectic. Is it important to have a 4th year ob/gyn grade on transcripts? If so I guess this is the time to do the Sub-Is.I know some ppl do not do away rotations at all, but do they do 4th year ob/gyn electives at their own school then?

Sept-Oct the new residents have settled in more. I don't know if grades will get on transcripts. But I would still get to experience the programs.

Members don't see this ad.

The thing you want to think about is not just grades, but whether you'll want a rec letter from your sub-I. Most people do, and since apps go out on Sept 1st, you need to finish at least one sub-I before August because you want to give your letter writers enough time. If you don't need/want a letter, then just finish it by early October. At least that's how it worked at my school.

You can always ask an advisor or someone ahead of you that's applying now.

yes, LORs are another consideration. Thanks for the advice.