Timing of Interviews/ Match Prognosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wanderluster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been lead to belief by several advisers that my application to peds residency programs is very unique. I've done a lot of pediatric extra-curricular activities. My personal statement, per pediatricians, was excellent. My step I is above average. I've gotten high pass or higher on all but 2 of my required clerkships in 3rd year. I honored a recent pediatric elective. And my AI.

And since the peds program at my school is one of the top ranked programs, I applied almost exclusively to top ranked programs, for a total of 15. My thought was that I could easily stay at my program so shouldn't apply to too many places either not ranked or not ranked well.

So far I've only received 4 interview offers and was actually rejected by 2 programs before the dean's letter went out. A friend who applied to peds in last year's cycle, and who I'm fairly certain was less competitive than me, said she received all her interview offers before the dean's letter went out last year.

Thus, I am freaking out. I was under the impression both that peds interviews are handed out easily and that I was a very strong candidate. But now I'm not getting the interviews I thought I would get. Is it too early to be worried? What, if anything, can I do to show programs that I'd really like an interview with them?
 
You will likely get more interviews this week/next week as Dean's Letters just went out...I think by November 9th is the magic date a few programs listed on their websites. I know it's difficult to be patient, but there's really not much else you can do at this point. Instead of obsessively checking email/worrying, focus on the interviews you do have so that you can feel good about your chances with these programs.
Another option is to go back to ERAS and add a a couple of "less competitive programs" - most application deadlines have passed, but I'm fairly certain there are a few programs that still accept applications (until November 15th or some even until December 1st). Again, no guarantee that these programs still have interview spots open since many less competitive programs hand out invites earlier. But if your application is strong, as you say, this may give you a couple of additional interviews.
This is just my perspective, and I am just a fourth year student like you, so it may be worthwhile to speak to your adviser.
 
This is the time when your faculty advisor needs to earn his/her "keep". You need some honest advice and direction. Without numbers and without knowing your specific school, it is difficult to know why you have gotten some rejections and only a few invitations thus far. But the peds residency application/interview process isn't the "slam dunk" that some people might portray. And you may be applying to some highly competitive programs, where even "stellar" students aren't guaranteed an interview. I am impressed at how many exceptional applicants there are this year; you might be one of them as well. But it sounds as if you need some candid and constructive input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been lead to belief by several advisers that my application to peds residency programs is very unique. I've done a lot of pediatric extra-curricular activities. My personal statement, per pediatricians, was excellent. My step I is above average. I've gotten high pass or higher on all but 2 of my required clerkships in 3rd year. I honored a recent pediatric elective. And my AI.

And since the peds program at my school is one of the top ranked programs, I applied almost exclusively to top ranked programs, for a total of 15. My thought was that I could easily stay at my program so shouldn't apply to too many places either not ranked or not ranked well.

So far I've only received 4 interview offers and was actually rejected by 2 programs before the dean's letter went out. A friend who applied to peds in last year's cycle, and who I'm fairly certain was less competitive than me, said she received all her interview offers before the dean's letter went out last year.

Thus, I am freaking out. I was under the impression both that peds interviews are handed out easily and that I was a very strong candidate. But now I'm not getting the interviews I thought I would get. Is it too early to be worried? What, if anything, can I do to show programs that I'd really like an interview with them?

I don't think it's time to freak out, but I do think it's time to talk to your adviser! S/he knows you best and likely has some experience with this situation and applicants from your school in the past. However, to be perfectly honest, I think it's always wise to apply to a range of programs, so if your adviser told you to apply only to top places, maybe it's time to seek out some second opinions. Peds on the whole isn't that competitive, but at top places, it definitely is! I don't doubt that the programs at CHOP, Boston, Denver, etc, are made up of a lot of people who are AOA and were above average on their boards.
 
I've been lead to belief by several advisers that my application to peds residency programs is very unique. I've done a lot of pediatric extra-curricular activities. My personal statement, per pediatricians, was excellent. My step I is above average. I've gotten high pass or higher on all but 2 of my required clerkships in 3rd year. I honored a recent pediatric elective. And my AI.

And since the peds program at my school is one of the top ranked programs, I applied almost exclusively to top ranked programs, for a total of 15. My thought was that I could easily stay at my program so shouldn't apply to too many places either not ranked or not ranked well.

So far I've only received 4 interview offers and was actually rejected by 2 programs before the dean's letter went out. A friend who applied to peds in last year's cycle, and who I'm fairly certain was less competitive than me, said she received all her interview offers before the dean's letter went out last year.

Thus, I am freaking out. I was under the impression both that peds interviews are handed out easily and that I was a very strong candidate. But now I'm not getting the interviews I thought I would get. Is it too early to be worried? What, if anything, can I do to show programs that I'd really like an interview with them?

also when was your application complete?
 
My application was in Sept. 1. Not AOA, but above average on boards, solid 3rd year performance, honored my AI, all at a top school and top peds program. Getting rejected too by non-ranked (by US news & world report, not that that is the end all and be all of lists but it gives you some idea) programs. 🙁
 
It's perhaps a little late now (being the 14th) but this thread shows exactly why, no matter how stellar you are, EVERYONE needs to apply to a RANGE of programs. The concepts of "reach, match, safety" like many use for college applications is useful.

This is even more important for something like the Match, because ultimately the applicant has a very significant amount of control over the final possibilities. Even if you had ended up with interviews in a few programs that were "below" you, you either just cancel them when you get the interviews you wanted, or if you checked them out and they really weren't great, you leave them off your rank list. Other than the lost money and/or time (on fees and travel), you're really not that put out in any significant way in the end because of your final say over the programs on your rank list.
 
It's perhaps a little late now (being the 14th) but this thread shows exactly why, no matter how stellar you are, EVERYONE needs to apply to a RANGE of programs. The concepts of "reach, match, safety" like many use for college applications is useful.

This is even more important for something like the Match, because ultimately the applicant has a very significant amount of control over the final possibilities. Even if you had ended up with interviews in a few programs that were "below" you, you either just cancel them when you get the interviews you wanted, or if you checked them out and they really weren't great, you leave them off your rank list. Other than the lost money and/or time (on fees and travel), you're really not that put out in any significant way in the end because of your final say over the programs on your rank list.

Agree 100%.
 
My application was in Sept. 1. Not AOA, but above average on boards, solid 3rd year performance, honored my AI, all at a top school and top peds program. Getting rejected too by non-ranked (by US news & world report, not that that is the end all and be all of lists but it gives you some idea) programs. 🙁

I also completely agree with the two comments above me. There may be a few programs whose deadlines haven't passed, so you can try to add on a few programs. They may have already offerred all of their interview spots already, but it's worth a try. Also, check the interview thread to see if the schools that you have applied to have already sent out interviews. By now, I think most places have offerred the majority of their interview spots, but judging by last year's thread, a few more interview offers can trickle in as people cancel interviews. I am just matching this year too, but I wish you luck!
Oh more thing, you definitely can't judge a program by its US news & world report ranking. I don't even think you can gain much of an idea of the program other than that they are a big name program. That doesn't mean that other programs won't suit your needs or even be more of a better fit. You can be at CHOP, Boston Children's, etc and still be miserable if it isn't a good fit.