timing of LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when exactly can we send in secondaries?
I've started getting request to fill out secondaries from a few schools - but not the majority.
I dont have the time to contact my school on an individual basis and get them to send out my comittee letter each time i get a request. is it too soon to just send out LORs to all the schools I applied to? btw - most of my schools dont screen secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

there are a few exceptions where they will throw them away, but with most schools its ok to send your recs to them sans secondary. I think einstein is one of the schools that explicitly tells you not to do this, anyone know which one's for sure

It all depends on the school. Generally speaking, most schools will hold your LOR's until they receive your secondaries. But some schools ( michigan, stanford, etc..) do not want the LOR's before they ask for them. So if you want, go ahead and send them out, just double check the schools so that they have not thrown them away.
peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, Mayo doesn't want them until they ask you to do so.

Know that every time you send your letters though the college letter holding place, it costs like five bucks! Be careful about the whole price issue if you have to redo things.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
Know that every time you send your letters though the college letter holding place, it costs like five bucks! Be careful about the whole price issue if you have to redo things.

i don't think this applies at all schools...the premed advising office at my school doesn't charge.

I think you should send them to the schools you have sent secondaries to. Many schools will not hold your letters until they have received your secondary which is when they open your file. In addition, I don't know if it was only me, but I had to resend LORs several times. They get misplaced or thrown out by mistake.....remember the amount of papers that the adcoms receive on a daily basis----so take that into consideration.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.....