Timing of MCAT Retake and SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjoneskufi

Reaction score
I was wondering this morning how I should go about retaking my MCAT and applying to SMPs. I'm trying to start an SMP by August so I guess I need to take the MCAT early next year. In addition , I need to take Physics II to matriculate to a program.

Should I try to matriculate next year or should I shoot for 2020? I'd like to start next year but I'm not sure how plausible this would be. I don't know if I'm rushing myself

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the MCAT early Jan and enroll in Physics II for the spring semester. If you feel that this is not plausible, maybe take Physics over the summer and notify the schools that you are currently taking the class.

You might feel like you must get into medical school as soon as possible. I know the feeling.

However, I found the farther along I got in post-bacc classes (past physics II and biochem, basically every upper level bio course), the more my fluency in science grew. When I went to retake the MCAT, this was a tremendous benefit. Now that I'm enrolled in an SMP I can see that my MCAT could have been even better.

So, all that is to say that if you can bare it, see if you can finish all the prereqs first. Consider taking all the upper-level science (especially bio and a psych course) that you can afford/handle. If you truly need an SMP, see if you can get into one with your current MCAT and then retake after the program ends or during winter break. You might be surprised how much a rigorous SMP will grow your study skills and test taking ability.

Good luck to you! If all else fails you can always retreat to Guyana and hit the kool-aid.

Reactions: 1 user