Timing of step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipcyde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been reading these forums regularly, if not religiously for several years now. Soon to be anesthesiology applicant and had a couple of questions I could not find by using the search function. I know the advice given nowadays seems to be "if you want to improve your chances in matching, take step II early and rock it!" I did above average on step I, but by no means rocked it so I want to make my application as strong as possible. However, I'm taking my exam in the middle of september. I plan on taking everyone's advice and submitting my applications on Sept 1st. My question is, will programs get to see my step 2 score if I schedule interviews lets say in Nov-Dec. Moreover, will step II matter at that point since the consensus is that board scores are only used as a screening tool to select interviews for applicants? I'm hoping that my overall application will be strong enough to merit an interview but you never know given the sheer number of applicants I hear programs are receiving. Thanks guys for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how it is at all programs but at one of the hospital in our system (they don't have anesthesiology but this is how it is for derm which is pretty competitive so i think it might apply) they don't throw out the board scores once you interview. it works on a point system where you get points for board scores, grades/class rank, who liked you at your away, etc. i think everything goes into their final decision.

Thanks for the reply. I figure that's how they do it at most programs. Just wanted to see if taking it this late hurts my chances. Not sure what people mean when they say to take Step II early. Mostly it's probably just nerves. This whole process can get downright nerveracking, as witnessed by previous years on this forum. But I do appreciate everyone's opinions, so if you got one, please chime in. Peace FC

I really want my step 2 to count/ hopefully help me but I can't take it until like Oct 17th, is that too late to help me if I go up at least 10 pts etc.?