Timing of Submission of Radiology LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rendezvous14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about how late my Radiology LOR is going to be submitted. I plan on submitting ERAS on 9/1 and will have my other LOR's in at that point as well, but I will not be able to get the Radiology LOR in until the end of Sept to mid October.

Two questions:

1) Is this going to cost me interviews at programs that start granting interviews in September..or are they willing to overlook the Radiology LOR and grant me an interview based on everything else..or, do most programs not start granting interviews til 11/1 anyway?

2) The Radiology rotation where I plan on getting the LOR from I can start either at the end of Aug or at the middle of Sept. Of course, if I start it at the end of Aug the letter writer will probably submit the letter around the end of Sept, while if I start the rotation in the middle of Sept the letter writer will probably submit the letter around the middle of October. For other reasons, I strongly prefer to start the rotation in the middle of Sept, but my question is, will having the letter submitted a few weeks earlier make a big difference in getting interviews?

Thanks for your help..

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little concerned about how late my Radiology LOR is going to be submitted. I plan on submitting ERAS on 9/1 and will have my other LOR's in at that point as well, but I will not be able to get the Radiology LOR in until the end of Sept to mid October.

Two questions:

1) Is this going to cost me interviews at programs that start granting interviews in September..or are they willing to overlook the Radiology LOR and grant me an interview based on everything else..or, do most programs not start granting interviews til 11/1 anyway?

2) The Radiology rotation where I plan on getting the LOR from I can start either at the end of Aug or at the middle of Sept. Of course, if I start it at the end of Aug the letter writer will probably submit the letter around the end of Sept, while if I start the rotation in the middle of Sept the letter writer will probably submit the letter around the middle of October. For other reasons, I strongly prefer to start the rotation in the middle of Sept, but my question is, will having the letter submitted a few weeks earlier make a big difference in getting interviews?

Thanks for your help..

Fellow applicant here but from what I've read most programs will consider your application for an interview as soon as you have 1 letter (from any specialty) in. Im kind of banking on this.
Good luck to us.

If true, that sounds nice..where did you hear it? And I assume you're talking about Radiology programs and not just residencies in general?

From reading the forums on AuntMinnie (its basically a rads specific SDN). Yeah, it only applies to rads as far as I know.