timing of telling your number one

Started by fizzbot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fizzbot

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts on timing of when we should do this? Someone mentioned doing it after the AAD meeting or something...

Vets what do you think?
 
I would also like to know whether people think telling a program they're number 1 affects where you're ranked. I've heard a couple different viewpoints and wanted to know what other people think.
 
In an ideal world, you could rank who you want, and programs could rank who they want, and no one would have to deal with all these mind games. Sadly, I don't think this is the case.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's a much bigger deal for programs that are smaller or relatively less prestigious.

I would not say that it amounts to mind games. It's more like politics. One of the many factors that go into the decision is finding an applicant who will be happy/a pleasure to work with for 3 years. I am sure that the Harvard/UPenn/UCSF/NYU programs have no shortage of candidates who would love to be there more than anywhere else. The same just can't be said for some of the smaller, more remote programs that may not have as much prestige/excitement/location to offer.

Also, programs like to match their top candidates. So that being said, I believe that if you are a stand-out candidate who interviews at a historically middle/lower tier program, it makes you a more legitimate candidate if you give them an additional reason to rank you higher.
 
Tomorrow, I am going to call up UCSF and let them know that I adore their program & faculty and that they are my #1. I am confident this simple gesture of interest will increase my odds of matching with them.


Is it possible to rank a program even though you didn't interview there?
 
i'd say starting about now is a good time to tell your #1 program. whether it has any effect is highly program specific. some programs finish their rank list on the day of the last interview, some do it by numbers/interview scores only, and others may be more receptive or influenced by post-interview applicant interest.
 
i'd say starting about now is a good time to tell your #1 program. whether it has any effect is highly program specific. some programs finish their rank list on the day of the last interview, some do it by numbers/interview scores only, and others may be more receptive or influenced by post-interview applicant interest.

still interviewing makes this a bit hard to do. 😛
 
Has everyone who has written to the PD of a program heard back? Or is it normal if you dont hear back?...
 
i got a very positive (but vague) response back from the PD. fingers crossed... :xf:

on the other hand, PGY-1 program directors have responded with much longer emails that practically say 'you will match here'. sometimes i wish i applied to medicine... lol...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Better late than never!

There are three programs I interviewed with who told us (either at the interview or after the interview via email) that they would not contact us in regards to how they would rank candidates.

I'll book end this post with trite phrases by saying, for the next few weeks, let's just consider it as 'no news is good news'!