Timing Sending LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entirecropslost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's kinda a drive up to my school to give them envelopes to mail my LOR's, and at least the first time I don't want to mail the envelopes b/c I need to explain exactly what to mail to each school. My question is how bad would it be to just send my letters to all the schools to save me the trips and make it easier? Cause I mean every school is a little diff. but all take the committee letter. Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Entirecropslost said:
It's kinda a drive up to my school to give them envelopes to mail my LOR's, and at least the first time I don't want to mail the envelopes b/c I need to explain exactly what to mail to each school. My question is how bad would it be to just send my letters to all the schools to save me the trips and make it easier? Cause I mean every school is a little diff. but all take the committee letter. Thx!

I would look into Interfolio... you'd only have to make the drive once, have all your writers mail their letters into Interfolio where they will be placed in an online portfolio for you... and from there, you have complete control. You can send whichever letters you want whenever you want... mix them up for different schools... even change the order in which the letters appear. A lot of schools even take electronic deliveries from Interfolio, which makes getting to "file complete" status that much quicker. I have another post somewhere that has a lot of details about Interfolio if you're interested.

But, if you don't want to go with that... I don't see a problem in doing a mass mailing... at least to the non-screeners. I've been sending my letters as soon as I get the secondaries and sometimes the rest of my file doesn't get there until a week later... and so far no one's thrown out my letters! So you could do two trips... one for the non-screeners... and then rack up all your screener invites and send those out in one trip too.

Good Luck!!

CavalierMD said:
I would look into Interfolio... you'd only have to make the drive once, have all your writers mail their letters into Interfolio where they will be placed in an online portfolio for you... and from there, you have complete control. You can send whichever letters you want whenever you want... mix them up for different schools... even change the order in which the letters appear. A lot of schools even take electronic deliveries from Interfolio, which makes getting to "file complete" status that much quicker. I have another post somewhere that has a lot of details about Interfolio if you're interested.

But, if you don't want to go with that... I don't see a problem in doing a mass mailing... at least to the non-screeners. I've been sending my letters as soon as I get the secondaries and sometimes the rest of my file doesn't get there until a week later... and so far no one's thrown out my letters! So you could do two trips... one for the non-screeners... and then rack up all your screener invites and send those out in one trip too.

Good Luck!!

I ran into this problem too. I am planning on doing two batches because of my recommenders going on vacation at different times and such. Just had the first half sent out, but also included one screener that I haven't gotten the secondary invite yet just to make sure my letters were there and I didn't miss any deadlines.