Tim's Physics Tips for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spang

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Tim, why not post 'em here for all to see. I know that I, for one, would be appreciative. Physical science is consistently my lowest scoring section.

Thanks.

Spang

Members don't see this ad.

FYI.

This doesn't really work anymore since the PS section is more 'verbal esque' now.

Doing so in practice means that you're not going to learn how to properly manage your time for the real deal.

It is true that PS & BS sections are more verbal-like. However, that does not apply to all the passages within the section. When I do practice AAMC's FLs, at most, 1 or 2 passages require you to read the whole thing and make inferences. So this technique still works, just beware of the long winded passages that provide no numbers and calculations.

Just took Kaplan FL#4 PS without reading the passage and got a 10 ... 2 points higher than my average. Seems like NOT READING THE PASSAGES INCREASES MY SCORE SIGNIFICANTLY.

Also just took Kaplan section test 2 and got a 59.62% -- I dont know what this corresponds to as a scaled score, but the timing was not too bad.

Any ideas? Any updates from anyone else?

Best,
C

I would be very cautious of this. Kaplan FL 4 is one of their more generous test in terms of converted score. I would look at % correct compared to your last few Kaplan tests instead of scaled score.

It is true that PS & BS sections are more verbal-like. However, that does not apply to all the passages within the section. When I do practice AAMC's FLs, at most, 1 or 2 passages require you to read the whole thing and make inferences. So this technique still works, just beware of the long winded passages that provide no numbers and calculations.

I took the MCAT last year and am retaking it tomorrow.

The entire PS section was verbal like.

Practice FL's are antiquated.

The FL's don't fully appreciate that aspect of the 'real' MCAT. AAMC 6R was a good resource for that. I'd recommend that people give that a go if they can find it. It's a very good practice test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,

Just doing the prep company passage questions, it seems like trying this strategy could be suicide.

But I'm still gonna see if it could work, or at least some sort of variation of it.

Maybe

Heck, I'll try this for the PS I am averaging an 8-9 right now. I'll post my stats here. THIS IS A REALLY REALLY ANCIENT THREAD, WE SHOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE RESURRECTED IT. LOL :soexcited: TIM BRO, IF THIS WORKS FOR ME ON THE REAL TEST, I'M GONNA THANK YOU FOR A LONG TIME

Reactions: 1 user