TIP: Firefox 3 and AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuck's Right Foot

Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have upgraded to Firefox 3, you can use the add-on called "User Agent Switcher" to fool AMCAS into thinking you have IE7, allowing you to have access.

If you haven't upgraded yet, wait till AMCAS has been submitted.

:)

That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

use IE Tab and/or IE View (Lite). I've used them for every version of Firefox..

Members don't see this ad :)
even firefox 2 has been giving me problems. it kinda doesnt load and goes between cookies 2 and 3 or somethng crazy

You can fake out AMCAS by going to preferences>advanced and checking the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar." After that, click on "Develop," head down to "User Agent," and select an AMCAS compatible browser like IE or Firefox.

The truth is AMCAS is a group of idiots for limiting web browsers so much. One shouldn't have to download programs to fill out your app. It is one of the cardinal sins of web design to do what they did. You have thousands of people using your site every year. Don't alienate at least 10 and probably closer to 20% of them because your design guys are lazy.

I'm still amazed they have links to web browsers that aren't even used any more for mac. I found IE chilling out in my application folder on my imac, but my macbook has nothing. My dell laptop was at my parent's house and has some serious issues, so I couldn't use that either.

The truth is AMCAS is a group of idiots for limiting web browsers so much. One shouldn't have to download programs to fill out your app. It is one of the cardinal sins of web design to do what they did. You have thousands of people using your site every year. Don't alienate at least 10 and probably closer to 20% of them because your design guys are lazy.

I'm still amazed they have links to web browsers that aren't even used any more for mac. I found IE chilling out in my application folder on my imac, but my macbook has nothing. My dell laptop was at my parent's house and has some serious issues, so I couldn't use that either.
Funny thing is, they don't care. What are the frustrated premeds gonna do, use a competing application service?

If you have upgraded to Firefox 3, you can use the add-on called "User Agent Switcher" to fool AMCAS into thinking you have IE7, allowing you to have access.

That is all.

That's awesome!! I emailed AMCAS a while back about updating their supported browsers list and they threw a fit, saying they won't include it in this app cycle.

That is all.
Hey I installed the user agent switcher and it still didn't work. Any suggestions?
I also tried IE Viewer Lite and was unsuccessful.

I appreciate the help.

Hey I installed the user agent switcher and it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Hmm. Search for a FF2 install? What part was unsuccessful? Did it allow you to log in? That should definitely work.

I appreciate the help.

Did you just install it, or did you try to implement it as well? Click on 'Tools' and then 'User Agent Switcher' - from the drop-down menu, pick 'Internet Explorer.' Does that work?

Hmm. Search for a FF2 install? What part was unsuccessful? Did it allow you to log in? That should definitely work.
I installed the add-on and it still wont let me login to amcas on firefox.

thanks everyone, it works now. i switched it to IE settings.

Another easy fix instead of installing the addon.

In the address bar for Firefox type: about:config
Then in the filter search type in: general.useragent.extra.firefox
Double click on this and change it from 3.0 to 2.0

Another easy fix instead of installing the addon.

In the address bar for Firefox type: about:config
Then in the filter search type in: general.useragent.extra.firefox
Double click on this and change it from 3.0 to 2.0

Yup. That works too. I award you an internet.