• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Tipping ths scale with greate LORs?

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey all.
I haven't taken the MCAT yet (Aug of this year) and my GPA is a bit on the lower side (Cumm 3.42, BCPM 3.81). However, I will have 3 very strong LOR's from my science professors and one very strong one from an MD I've worked with on a professional level (I'm a physical therapist).
Have you heard of cases where interviews were granted on someone with low GPA as mine due to strong LORs and personal statement for schools that usually have higher standards of stats?
Thanks.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey all.
I haven't taken the MCAT yet (Aug of this year) and my GPA is a bit on the lower side (Cumm 3.42, BCPM 3.81). However, I will have 3 very strong LOR's from my science professors and one very strong one from an MD I've worked with on a professional level (I'm a physical therapist).
Have you heard of cases where interviews were granted on someone with low GPA as mine due to strong LORs and personal statement for schools that usually have higher standards of stats?
Thanks.

I think you won't have to worry about tipping the scale if you do well on the MCAT with above a 30. However, since you say you are going to take the August MCAT I'm not sure why you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to begin with. Take the test in April, May, or June.

bbabul01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's all a package. And good recs can be as important as gpa, mcat, extra currics, personal statement, etc. Do well on your MCAT and you'll be fine. A letter from an MD you have worked professionally with should be very helpful.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.