Tips during observation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FineGentleman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming college freshman. 0 experience and skills.
I have just started volunteering at a PT clinic run by one PT with a few very attractive aids and assistants.

I have never worked before. I have no experience having a boss. Can you guys give me me advice on how I should act? During the first day, I awkwardly stood around staring intently at what the workers were doing. I only moved and did stuff like get hotpacks and instruct patients when asked.

I want to end up working as an aide here eventually. How can I get everyone to like me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your first step is to smile. Ask questions, but make sure they aren't dumb questions. Show initiative. I know it can be a little difficult when you are just observing, but start out by bringing a name tag if the clinic didn't provide volunteer credentials. Manly, you want to get the PT's and the patients to like you. the best way to do this is to be genuine, and empathetic. Before you start your day, ask the PT that you are working with to introduce you to the patients, and ask them if they can give you a little bit of background on the patients injury. WHY are the in therapy. WHAT is the road to recover like for them. HOW long will it take. Every patient is a little bit different even if you are seeing the same type of injury all day.

In the end, if you can get the employees there to like you, and show that you can have good rapport with the patients, then you have a good shot at landing a job down the road. Do as much as you can to help them out and show genuine interest in becoming a PT. The best part about working as an aide aside from the fact that you get to work in a PT clinic, is that the PTs have already been down the road you are just starting.Ask them about school, about what you should be doing, etc.

Good luck!

(and don't forget that you need to get extremely high grades if you are serious about PT. With more students going into PT, its only going to get more competitive)

I have just started volunteering at a PT clinic run by one PT with a few very attractive aids and assistants.

I have never worked before. I have no experience having a boss. Can you guys give me me advice on how I should act? During the first day, I awkwardly stood around staring intently at what the workers were doing. I only moved and did stuff like get hotpacks and instruct patients when asked.

I want to end up working as an aide here eventually. How can I get everyone to like me?

I like you, does that count?

Look at your bosses as mentors, guidance counselors and teachers. It's okay to feel out of place the first day. You're there to learn, so do so. Be engaging, ask questions and be proactive. Start acting like you're employed there. Don't wait until they ask you to do something for you to do it. Use your observational skills to see when to change out sheets, wipe down exercise equipment, prep equipment, etc. When things are slower, ask more questions and get to know the PTs.

Always ask of you can directly observe, so that the PT may ask the patient for permission. This way, you will obtain a patient history and treatment plan. This is a great way to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
dress to impress, wear professional clothes

In short, it is ALWAYS better to be overdressed than underdressed.

It's hard to really follow what the PT is doing -- in terms of clinical reasoning, intervention choice, etc. -- until you've been through a program. So I wouldn't worry too much about trying to impress them. Do me a favor and don't bring your own name tag, because you will look like a douchebag.

If you're genuinely interested in physical therapy, it will be evident by your questions and interest. Maybe it's easier said than done but try to stay calm and be yourself.

(I like your username coupled with how you started your post by saying there are "a few attractive aides and assistants." Classic. If you want to work there or want a reference, do not act on this gentlemanly impulse.)