tips for an IMG ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I'm an IMG. and I was wondering if someone could let me know what enhances the chances of getting into residency besides good scores? research work, clinical work or a permanant visa status?
my scores are good. 83, 95. and at present i'm workin in research. shall i continue with that or switch over to clinical side? plus i dont've a permanant visa. will that affect my chances?
thanx everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by sara:
Hi there
I'm an IMG. and I was wondering if someone could let me know what enhances the chances of getting into residency besides good scores? research work, clinical work or a permanant visa status?
my scores are good. 83, 95. and at present i'm workin in research. shall i continue with that or switch over to clinical side? plus i dont've a permanant visa. will that affect my chances?
thanx everyone.

US based clinical work is nearly a MUST as are letters from US faculty. I would sugges that if you can gain some clinical experience while here, it would be more valuable to you than research. And while the 95 is a good score, I would hesitate to call the Step 1 score "good" if you are considering a competitive residency. Many state outright that they don't accept applications from those with scores less than 85.

I would also assume the possession of a permanent visa would help your case. PDs may be skittish about offering a spot to someone whom they fear may have to leave the country. SDN has some links from its Home Page to IMG forums; these are populated mostly by foreign nationals and they should be able to give you visa advice better than most of the denizens here.

Good luck!

Thanx a lot for your reply Mr.Kimberlicox,
well, i cant change my visa status very soon which is H-4 right now. anyways, about the clinical experience that you mentioned, is it O.K to work in a primary care clinic with some M.D or I need to go to university affiliated hospital and search for an ACCGME program ? bcz the clinic work that they are offering is more patient interactive, kind of externship while the hospital people dont let anything more than an observership.
what do u suggest?
thanx and wishes

Members don't see this ad :)
Sara, what made you assume that kimberlicox is both Mr and not Dr, male and not female?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by gower:
Sara, what made you assume that kimberlicox is both Mr and not Dr, male and not female?

Yeah?! Well, gower does have the advantage, having communicated with me in the past. But he is right - I am female, always have been and am now "officially" Dr. I have been bemused by the number of people who can't figure out my "real" name from the screen name - I thought it was fairly obvious. I tried changing it once (to Kimberli Cox) but wasn't allowed.

But that's neither here nor there and feel free to call me Kimberli.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Thanx a lot for your reply Mr.Kimberlicox,well, i cant change my visa status very soon which is H-4 right now. anyways, about the clinical experience that you mentioned, is it O.K to work in a primary care clinic with some M.D or I need to go to university affiliated hospital and search for an ACCGME program ? bcz the clinic work that they are offering is more patient interactive, kind of externship while the hospital people dont let anything more than an observership.what do u suggest?
thanx and wishes

First Choice: University Program with ACGME/AOA approved residency in your field of choice, working in a CLINICAL capacity

Second Choice: Working in a CLINICAL capacity

Third Choice: Research

These are obviously my biases. However, I have seen programs which *require* clinical contact for several months before applying for residency. And I have heard several IMGs say they spend years working in the lab at some big-wig medical center and then don't get into residency programs there. Doesn't seem all that productive, but could just be my experience with it. I don't much about Observerships except that they "don't count" in the eyes of residency programs that require you to have clinical contact. I dunno - maybe some are better than others but I just don't like the sound of "observership". Too much like first year medical school all over again!

If your primary care practice will allow you clinical contact with patients, IMHO that's the way to go. It would behoove you to see if any of the supervising physicians there have clinical appointments at the near-by university, often they do. And if not, often they know people who do, and can refer you and surely write you a good letter of recommendation.

I still suggest that you contact some residency programs in which you might be interested and see if 1) they sponsor FMGs for visas; 2) if they have a clinical contact requirement; 3) if they have a year of graduation requirement (ie, some programs specify that you cannot have graduated from medical school more than x number of years prior); and 4)if they have any advice on buffing your application. Be honest with your supervisor at the clinic as well; tell him that you are eager to work and learn as much as possible, but that you also would like to be considered for a good letter of recommendation come time for residency application (should he/she feel you deserve it) and any help in obtaining contacts in your field of choice.

Hope this helps...