Tips for Canadians going to America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EviL123456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
=

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Citizens of countries under the VISA waver program are allowed to stay in the US for 90 days without obtaining a VISA.
Citizens of Canada and Mexico (boarder states) are allowed to stay in the US for 6 months without obtaining a VISA.
Of course since you don't have a VISA you cannot work in the US, so if you plan on staying for 6 months you better be able to support yourself.

There's one Canadian in my medical school from BC. I can't really speak as to how common it is nation-wide, though. My instinct is that there are not many, mainly because American medical schools (like Canadian ones) want to invest in students who they feel are most likely to stay in the US to work. If you are sure you want to practice medicine in the US, getting into an American medical school would help you tremendously, as it would put you on equal footing with other Americans when applying for an American residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
socially-awkward-medstudent-homeless.png