Tips for cube counting and hole punching (specifics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I've recently began my studying for the dat and I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice for the best method of these two subsections. For cube counting, is it best to go through and tally up all cubes (which is hat I've been doing) or is it better to just count the cubes the question asks?

For hole punching, I'm getting stuck on some questions where the hole punch is on a fold, giving a half hole. I've been using the line of symmetry method for this subsection and it's worked pretty well I just get stuck and confused on some with the hole punch on the fold. Suggestions?

Anything helps here. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Other than practicing.. I have some insight for you

Honestly, I never did the tally thing. I just counted 2 times minimum and marked if I was still unsure (at the most 2 markings in one section of CC). I did a lot of rubik's cubing as a kid, and I think it facilitated my taking shortcuts. I can assure you, however, that the vast majority of people did not do what I did for CC. The more comfortable you get with the PAT, the more you will realize that you can answer about 95% questions accurately if you had all the time in the world. I used CDP primarily, and it was nice in that it gave me a breakdown of time spent per question/section if you add up. I realized that if I could allow more time for my slower sections (TFE/Pattern folding), it would increase my overall score about 2 pts while coming at the expense of the occasional not perfect HP/CC. Basically, you may eventually want to consider making some tradeoffs for time in some sections and see how it plays out for you. EX: For HP, I would do LOS only for the ones I couldn't unfold or wasn't comfortable folding in my head (anywhere from 3-7 out of 15). I did some origami as a kid, and I think this facilitated taking a shortcut for this section also.

Long story short, I realized that I could pump out 5-6 min HP/CC sections missing 1-2 of those questions about 1 out of every 3 exams, BUT it gave me much more time to conquer the other sections in a less nervous manner. Some people go for the perfect HP/CC and are sure of it and don't mind missing problems like the occasional rock keyhole, some maze looking TFEs, or a soccer ball pattern folding; the possible downside is that they have to guess entirely on 5-6 Qs due to time contraints

Suggestion on HP: literally get some post it notes and make hole punches if you want to be able to train your brain to be able to visualize it in your head better, though this is NOT needed to get 100% on HP. It will help your speed, though it will be slow at first :) . In ochem, mastering stereochemistry (not shortcutting your way to victory) requires people to get down and play with model kits. Another example is that you can usually give people directions to places if you are familiar with the area because you have driven down the roads many times yourself before. This learning process is analogous to starting a bike on the highest gear and racing someone a mile on level terrain who starts on a much lower gear but can't switch gears. In the end, you have a higher top speed and win. Patience is on your side.

I went into a bit of my method above because I wanted you to compare it to anything else you read. It is important to realize that the BEST method is really what works best for you in the end, not necessarily what the kid who got a 30 on the PAT did. Not saying there is nothing to learn from people who did well, but look for methods which make you feel comfortable overall when you take the PAT. When you first learn each section, its okay to experiment but keep in mind that you want to be able to budget your time appropriately once you have a general idea about how you traverse the sections of the PAT.

GL

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Other than practicing.. I have some insight for you

Honestly, I never did the tally thing. I just counted 2 times minimum and marked if I was still unsure (at the most 2 markings in one section of CC). I did a lot of rubik's cubing as a kid, and I think it facilitated my taking shortcuts. I can assure you, however, that the vast majority of people did not do what I did for CC. The more comfortable you get with the PAT, the more you will realize that you can answer about 95% questions accurately if you had all the time in the world. I used CDP primarily, and it was nice in that it gave me a breakdown of time spent per question/section if you add up. I realized that if I could allow more time for my slower sections (TFE/Pattern folding), it would increase my overall score about 2 pts while coming at the expense of the occasional not perfect HP/CC. Basically, you may eventually want to consider making some tradeoffs for time in some sections and see how it plays out for you. EX: For HP, I would do LOS only for the ones I couldn't unfold or wasn't uncomfortable folding in my head (anywhere from 3-7 out of 15). I did some origami as a kid, and I think this facilitated taking a shortcut for this section also.

Long story short, I realized that I could pump out 5-6 min HP/CC sections missing 1-2 of those questions about 1 out of every 3 exams, BUT it gave me much more time to conquer the other sections in a less nervous manner. Some people go for the perfect HP/CC and are sure of it and don't mind missing problems like the occasional rock keyhole, some maze looking TFEs, or a soccer ball pattern folding; the possible downside is that they have to guess entirely on 5-6 Qs due to time contraints

Suggestion on HP: literally get some post it notes and make hole punches if you want to be able to train your brain to be able to visualize it in your head better, though this is NOT needed to get 100% on HP. It will help your speed, though it will be slow at first :) . In ochem, mastering stereochemistry (not shortcutting your way to victory) requires people to get down and play with model kits. Another example is that you can usually give people directions places if you are familiar with the area because you have driven down the roads many times yourself before. This learning process is analogous to starting a bike on the highest gear and racing someone a mile on level terrain who starts on a much lower gear gear but can't switch gears. In the end, you have a higher top speed and win. Patience is on your side.

I went into a bit of my method above because I wanted you to compare it to anything else you read. It is important to realize that the BEST method is really what works best for you in the end, not necessarily the kid who got a 30 on the PAT. Not saying there is nothing to learn from people who did well, but look for methods which make you feel comfortable overall when you take the PAT. When you first learn each section, its okay to experiment but keep in mind that you want to be able to budget your time appropriately once you have a general idea about how you traverse the sections of the PAT.

GL

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk