*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if volunteering in the aquatic rehabilitation of mentally handicapped clients should be listed as clinical or non-clinical on AMCAS. Each week, I would be in the water working hands-on with my clients (who all suffered from genetic disorders).
If what you are doing is indeed "rehab" with specific clinical goals to achieve, and your assistance is furthering those goals, I'd consider it a clinical experience. If it is meant to provide exercize, fun, and socialization, then it would seem more nonclinical community service.

Members don't see this ad.

wow can't believe it's time..here is the first of many stupid questions I'll ask in this thread:

1) for shadowing how are you guys doing this? List the category as shadowing then- Doc's name-specialty-hospital-hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) If I volunteered for a total of 80 hours over a period of 1.5 years that gives me 1.1 hrs/week. If I subtract summer vacation it was 1.3 hours/week. Each time I went, it was 4 hours. Can I list the start-end date as 1.5 years, weekly hours as 4 and state in the description that I went for twenty 4-hour visits, for a total of 80 hours? It just looks silly to say I volunteered for 1 hour per week...

2) I shadowed 3 doctors once each. I have a contact for one of them, but the other two have left my hospital. Do I need to track them down and ask if I can reference them both?

3) What if you worked in a bio lab for a year, learning lab techniques (not helping a post-doc, but practicing on your own) and designed a project but did not actually carry it out? I quit after a year because I felt I was getting more out of my clinical and teaching jobs and couldn't devote myself to three part-time jobs at once during school... I describe all this in the description, but "Research/Lab" is still the right designation, right?

4) Under honors/awards/recognitions, aside from stuff like Dean's List, could I list language proficiences in the form of certificates for courses completed? Not courses in university, but my job offers correspondence courses for certification in the language.

5) I participate in an organization that would probably be considered most similar to social chair in a dorm or fraternity - i.e. I organize social events for the area. Would this go under "Leadership"? Or volunteering (non-clinical obviously)? Or "other"?
1) Skip the hours per week in the header and just explain the timing in the narrative. Don't put 4 hours/week if it was intermittent during the indicated date span.

2) No. Indicate that contact info is not available (though if you google the docs, maybe you can find out where they are) except for the first listing.

3) Listing it under Other would be less misleading, even though you did spend time in a lab. Alternatively, list it under Research/Lab, but name the activity something that indicates it wasn't research, like "Self-Taught Lab Techiniques Practicum" or whatever.

4) I'd list them in the transcript section (even if no grade was earned, and you had to submit a transcript to show that) or mention it in the same space as an activity that used the skills gained.

5) Leadership is fine, assuming you didn't do all the work yourself and coordinated other people.

my apologies if someone had asked these already! i haven't had a chance to read all the posts:

(1) if I don't select one of my "most significant" experiences to be any of the clinical experiences, will that necessarily reflect badly? at this time, I can think of two activities that were (honestly!) the most formative in becoming who I am today ((1) 16 years of musical training, (2) 2 years of full-time research experience after college)... Can't really pinpoint a third one. All my hospital volunteering activities seemed to be of similar impact... shadowing physicians were influential in deciding that I want to do medicine, but I've only done ~25 hours of shadowing 3 years ago... aah

(2) regarding contact info:
~ if I was the president of a student organization, and we didn't have a faculty advisor, who do I list as the contact...?
~ for shadowing experiences, where I contacted the physicians directly to shadow, who do I list as the contact?? I shadowed each physician for ~8 hours, but none who would remember me... again, this was nearly 3 years ago and I bet the doc's don't remember a premed who shadowed them for just a day!
~ when I am listing an "artistic endeavor" who should I list as the "contact"??? (i've been involved in a lot of classical music stuff over the past 16 years, and I was gonna clump everything together... from lessons to chamber music to orchestra to opera performances)

my apologies if someone had asked these already! i haven't had a chance to read all the posts:

(1) if I don't select one of my "most significant" experiences to be any of the clinical experiences, will that necessarily reflect badly?
(2) regarding contact info:
~ a) if I was the president of a student organization, and we didn't have a faculty advisor, who do I list as the contact...?
~ b) for shadowing experiences, where I contacted the physicians directly to shadow, who do I list as the contact?? I shadowed each physician for ~8 hours, but none who would remember me... again, this was nearly 3 years ago and I bet the doc's don't remember a premed who shadowed them for just a day!
~ c) when I am listing an "artistic endeavor" who should I list as the "contact"??? (i've been involved in a lot of classical music stuff over the past 16 years, and I was gonna clump everything together... from lessons to chamber music to orchestra to opera performances)
1) No. Use an activity where you need more space to explain it properly.

2)
a) The Vice President.
b) List the contact info for at least one. The name of the clinic or hospital could be fine.
c) Your most recent music instructor or director of performance would work.

How broad is the Research category? Does research for a class qualify? In this case I mean a class where the sole purpose was to design an experiment and produce a scientific paper. The subject matter and experimental design were all student-chosen. My "final" was the finished research paper and presentation of results.

hi,

1. any help with my previous post about where to put personal experiences(brothers recovery from heroin addiction and how it effected me)would be great.
2. are short term experiences good to add? like i spent 3 days on a search and rescue/recovery mission(we found one of the bodies) it was a great experience but only a couple of days
thanks!

hi,

1. any help with my previous post about where to put personal experiences(brothers recovery from heroin addiction and how it effected me)would be great.
2. are short term experiences good to add? like i spent 3 days on a search and rescue/recovery mission(we found one of the bodies) it was a great experience but only a couple of days
thanks!

1) Most likely your personal statement; if not, then some secondary applications may provide prompts where this would be appropriate. [ETA: Note that Catalystik already answered your question; I'd consider her response to be fairly authoritative.]

2) In what context was this experience?

1) Most likely your personal statement; if not, then some secondary applications may provide prompts where this would be appropriate. [ETA: Note that Catalystik already answered your question; I'd consider her response to be fairly authoritative.]

2) In what context was this experience?

1. sorry didnt notice thanks and thanks catalystik
2. context? 2 men went missing on a lake a few years back-volunteers were needed so i went.

2. context? 2 men went missing on a lake a few years back-volunteers were needed so i went.

My opinion is that it wouldn't go in the work/activities section but rather into your personal statement or into a secondary application essay, as it was ad hoc rather than long-term.

If I have a research EXP that resulted in 2 pubs and 3 presentations, the citation of those alone will take up nearly 700 characters. Any advice? The whole research experience will be one of my "most important" should I only cite the pubmed papers and simply say I have 3 presentations?

Dont really know the best way to tackle this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I have been on and off the deans list here and there...but I'm assuming most pre-meds have so I might as well just leave of deans list and honor roll off if I can fill those sports with more powerful activites?

Last edited:
How broad is the Research category? Does research for a class qualify? In this case I mean a class where the sole purpose was to design an experiment and produce a scientific paper. The subject matter and experimental design were all student-chosen. My "final" was the finished research paper and presentation of results.
Research can be listed under "Research", whether for class credit (even if it appears on your transcript), paid, or volunteer.

If I have a research EXP that resulted in 2 pubs and 3 presentations, the citation of those alone will take up nearly 700 characters. Any advice? The whole research experience will be one of my "most important" should I only cite the pubmed papers and simply say I have 3 presentations?
Describe the actual research in the Research entry. The presentations/posters could be mentioned in the same space giving bare bones details (title, location, date, name of conference, who presented). The PubMed searchable publications should be in their own space, being the highest accomplishment (if they were in regional or national journals). My answer might change depending on the relative prestigiousness of each activity, so feel free to give more detail if needed.

Also I have been on and off the deans list here and there...but I'm assuming most pre-meds have so I might as well just leave of deans list and honor roll off if I can fill those sports with more powerful activites?
I would not list deans list/honor roll on its own. Throw it in with other awards and honors if you want, but as you say, most premeds have this, so it's nothing special. And besides your GPA is evident already.

3) Listing it under Other would be less misleading, even though you did spend time in a lab. Alternatively, list it under Research/Lab, but name the activity something that indicates it wasn't research, like "Self-Taught Lab Techiniques Practicum" or whatever.

Really?? I worked as a Research Assistant 3x (psych lab where i mostly dealt with data but did some of the experiments/literature searchs; clinical research where i did a lot of chart abstraction and interviewed patients; and the bio lab where i did experiments but never published anything) and NONE of them count as research?

Describe the actual research in the Research entry. The presentations/posters could be mentioned in the same space giving bare bones details (title, location, date, name of conference, who presented). The PubMed searchable publications should be in their own space, being the highest accomplishment (if they were in regional or national journals). My answer might change depending on the relative prestigiousness of each activity, so feel free to give more detail if needed.

Hi there cat,

Here are the 2 pubs: both on Pubmed

1)
Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Robert G. Ferrigni, Mitchell R. Humphreys, Scott K. Swanson, and Erik P Castle. Accuracy of ultrasound in estimation of prostate weight: comparison of Urologists and Radiologists. Canadian J. Urol. 2009.

Canadian Journal of Urology...So not too bad

2)
-Aaron Martin, Rafael Nunez, Jack Andrews, George Martin, Paul Andrews and Erik Castle, MD. Outpatient Prostatectomy: Too Much too Soon or Just What the patient Ordered. Urology. 2010 Feb;75(2):421-4.

International Journal of Urology...So a pretty big journal

Presentations:

1)
-Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Robert G. Ferrigni, Mitchell R. Humphreys, Scott K.
Swanson and Erik P Castle, MD. Does Nerve Sparing During Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy Affects Positive Margin Rate? Journal Urology 2008; 174 (Suppl): 612

2)
-Aaron Martin, Rafael Nunez, Jack Andrews, George Martin, Paul Andrews and Erik Castle, MD. Outpatient Prostatectomy: Too Much too Soon or Just What the patient Ordered. 9th Annual SUO Winter Meeting. Conference Suppl Abstract # 33. Bethesda, Maryland. USA. November 27 – 29 2008.

Case Reports:

1)
- Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Mitchell R. Humphreys, William G Eversman and Erik P Castle. Nephrobronchial fistula secondary to xantogranulomatous pyelonephritis: A Case report and Review of the literature. 2009

2)
- Edmund Y. Ko, Rafael N. Nunez, Andrews R Jack, Humphreys R. Mitchell, Erik P. Castle and Paul E. Andrews: Doctor, I think My Kidney is Coughing! Laparoscopic Management of Nephrobronchial Fistula Secondary to Chronic Xanthogranulomatous Pyelonephritis: a Case Report. 2008

I did a lot of research, data analysis, writing, IRB applications and spent time in the OR. So I have a lot to talk about with this guy. How would you break this up?
Thanks

Last edited:
1) Most list all their physician shadowing in a single space. In the free-text space for each, put name, specialty, date span and total hours. At the bottom of the box, give a grand total for hours. Explanation isn't neceassary, but if something really special happened, you can mention it briefly. If you want to make a statement of what you gained from the overall experience, you may.

2) Choose the designation that gives the most balance to your application. For example: I'd probably list it as Teaching if I had nothing else in this category, making the Community Service-not Medical and directorship clear in the description and/or name you choose for the activity.

If all of the physicians are grouped under one heading, do I need to put contact information for all of them, or just the most prevalent? The actual activity space only has one space for it, but I could list emails in the details section. I have 5 different doctors ranging from over 100 hours to 4....ideas?

Really?? I worked as a Research Assistant 3x (psych lab where i mostly dealt with data but did some of the experiments/literature searchs; clinical research where i did a lot of chart abstraction and interviewed patients; and the bio lab where i did experiments but never published anything) and NONE of them count as research?
Referring to Post #204, my comment referred specifically to what you posted about the bio lab, not to the psych lab or the clinical research:
What if you worked in a bio lab for a year, learning lab techniques (not helping a post-doc, but practicing on your own) and designed a project but did not actually carry it out? I quit after a year because I felt I was getting more out of my clinical and teaching jobs and couldn't devote myself to three part-time jobs at once during school... I describe all this in the description, but "Research/Lab" is still the right designation, right?
If I misunderstood what you meant to convey, feel free to explain further.

Last edited:
Hi there cat,

Here are the 2 pubs: both on Pubmed

1)
Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Robert G. Ferrigni, Mitchell R. Humphreys, Scott K. Swanson, and Erik P Castle. Accuracy of ultrasound in estimation of prostate weight: comparison of Urologists and Radiologists. Canadian J. Urol. 2009.

Canadian Journal of Urology...So not too bad

2)
-Aaron Martin, Rafael Nunez, Jack Andrews, George Martin, Paul Andrews and Erik Castle, MD. Outpatient Prostatectomy: Too Much too Soon or Just What the patient Ordered. Urology. 2010 Feb;75(2):421-4.

International Journal of Urology...So a pretty big journal

Presentations:

1)
-Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Robert G. Ferrigni, Mitchell R. Humphreys, Scott K.
Swanson and Erik P Castle, MD. Does Nerve Sparing During Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy Affects Positive Margin Rate? Journal Urology 2008; 174 (Suppl): 612

2)
-Aaron Martin, Rafael Nunez, Jack Andrews, George Martin, Paul Andrews and Erik Castle, MD. Outpatient Prostatectomy: Too Much too Soon or Just What the patient Ordered. 9th Annual SUO Winter Meeting. Conference Suppl Abstract # 33. Bethesda, Maryland. USA. November 27 – 29 2008.

Case Reports:

1)
- Rafael N Nunez, Jack R Andrews, Paul E. Andrews, Mitchell R. Humphreys, William G Eversman and Erik P Castle. Nephrobronchial fistula secondary to xantogranulomatous pyelonephritis: A Case report and Review of the literature. 2009

2)
- Edmund Y. Ko, Rafael N. Nunez, Andrews R Jack, Humphreys R. Mitchell, Erik P. Castle and Paul E. Andrews: Doctor, I think My Kidney is Coughing! Laparoscopic Management of Nephrobronchial Fistula Secondary to Chronic Xanthogranulomatous Pyelonephritis: a Case Report. 2008

I did a lot of research, data analysis, writing, IRB applications and spent time in the OR. So I have a lot to talk about with this guy. How would you break this up?
An embarrassment of riches indeed. Some grouping works better if they are based on the same research (like the first two #2s).

Case reports are generally lower ranked. You might list them after the first #1, just to get them in and save space.

The second #1 belongs on its own under Presentations/Posters, but if you didn't present it personally, you might mention it in the Research listing it is related to. If you just don't have the space, even it you did the presentation, you may have to do that anyway.

Just do what feels right to you, even if it means excluding the case reports.

If all of the physicians are grouped under one heading, do I need to put contact information for all of them, or just the most prevalent? The actual activity space only has one space for it, but I could list emails in the details section. I have 5 different doctors ranging from over 100 hours to 4....ideas?
Provide contact info wherever possible, within the free text space, for those that are not covered by the contact info in the header.

Referring to Post #204, my comment referred specifically to what you posted about the bio lab, not to the psych lab or the clinical research: If I misunderstood what you meant to convey, feel free to explain further.

Sorry, I mis-read part of your post. OK, so I know what to do about my bio lab time (though coming up with a title will be hard...).

With regards to other jobs that are commonly called "Research Assistant" (ie the psych lab and clinical project I was part of), would those also not go under "Research/Lab" if I did not design hypotheses, test them, and come up with results?

If that's the case, I would list both under "Paid Employment", correct? But using "Research Assistant" in the Experience Name blank would be wrong?

Sorry, I mis-read part of your post. OK, so I know what to do about my bio lab time (though coming up with a title will be hard...).

With regards to other jobs that are commonly called "Research Assistant" (ie the psych lab and clinical project I was part of), would those also not go under "Research/Lab" if I did not design hypotheses, test them, and come up with results?

If that's the case, I would list both under "Paid Employment", correct? But using "Research Assistant" in the Experience Name blank would be wrong?

oh great question, I'm curious about this as well since one of my job titles was this without any of the aformentioned things one does when conducting research.

I was an orientation leader but it was a paid position so I was wondering whether I should list this under leadership or employment? Same thing goes for tutoring and leading supplemental instruction sessions. I'm also a youth leader for my temple and help with coordinating major events and weekly meetings so I don't know whether to list that under leadership or non-medical volunteering.

I was an orientation leader but it was a paid position so I was wondering whether I should list this under leadership or employment? Same thing goes for tutoring and leading supplemental instruction sessions. I'm also a youth leader for my temple and help with coordinating major events and weekly meetings so I don't know whether to list that under leadership or non-medical volunteering.

I think the generally accepted consensus is that if you are lacking in leadership, then list it as leadership, but state that it was paid. same for youth leader - if you are lacking in non-med volunteering, list it as that and emphasize your leadership role.

I'm curious about this as well since one of my job titles was this without any of the aformentioned things one does when conducting research.
Naming the activity Research Assistant or Research Tech would be fine, whether you decide on picking the category Paid Employment or Research/Lab (the latter of which I would pick for these two activities, but understand that opinions vary). But you probably would not use the name Researcher which implies a higher level of involvement/control. More important than the name you choose is accurately describing the level of your involvement.

Naming the activity Research Assistant or Research Tech would be fine, whether you decide on picking the category Paid Employment or Research/Lab (the latter of which I would pick for these two activities, but understand that opinions vary). But you probably would not use the name Researcher which implies a higher level of involvement/control. More important than the name you choose is accurately describing the level of your involvement.

Sorry, did you mean former? I thought you preferred calling things like the "research" experience I described Paid Employment, since you stated that there was no hypothesis/testing/paper stages of the experience.

I wouldn't use Researcher, and I described exactly what I did in the description so no one will be left thinking I've published articles in Nature when I just did a lot of failed Western blots ;)

Sorry, did you mean former? I thought you preferred calling things like the "research" experience I described Paid Employment, since you stated that there was no hypothesis/testing/paper stages of the experience.
I meant "latter" as I'd assume from what you described (perhaps incorrectly) you had some creative control or problem-solving input into someone's well-designed study, even if you didn't create the project initially.

My bias is to use Research/Lab (the category) whenever reasonable, and to make your actual contribution clear in the description. A research purist might be pickier. Whichever you choose, you won't be wrong.

I meant "latter" as I'd assume from what you described (perhaps incorrectly) you had some creative control or problem-solving input into someone's well-designed study, even if you didn't create the project initially.

My bias is to use Research/Lab (the category) whenever reasonable, and to make your actual contribution clear in the description. A research purist might be pickier. Whichever you choose, you won't be wrong.

Hm, I don't think you could say I had input into the studies at the psych lab or clinical studies. For the bio lab, I certainly had input into my own study design but as I said that study never happened.

I think I will use Research/Lab for the bio lab, making clear what I did, and paid employment for the other two...

if you did a small research project for a class (about a month), and did a final paper for it, would it be worth listing it on your app (say if you aren't going into a significant amount of research until June)?

Research can be listed under "Research", whether for class credit (even if it appears on your transcript), paid, or volunteer.

if you did a small research project for a class (about a month), and did a final paper for it, would it be worth listing it on your app (say if you aren't going into a significant amount of research until June)?
It's not uncommon for applicants to list a one-week alternative spring break, so if you think it was significant, then despite the brevity of the activity, go ahead and list it.

I plan on grouping all honors/awards together in one section and had a question about the date ranges/contact info. I am assuming I would just put the date of the most prestigious award? And for contact info I was thinking of listing my pre-med advisor, would that be acceptable?

OK, having perused, I'm trying to break down research into its slots. I currently plan to do it like this

Publications
1slot - Journal Publications - Graduate
Conferences Attended
1slot - 2 Conferences - Graduate
1slot - 1 Conference - Undergraduate
Presentations/Posters (because I did not attend these confs)
1slot - 3 Conferences - Graduate
Research/Lab
1slot - Graduate Research (actual description of rsch, since with citations there will be no room in pub slots)
1slot - Undergraduate Research (actual description of rsch.. might be able to fit this in with the citations though)

Does this seem like a logical way to break it down? Obviously I can't describe every project in full but I thought by pulling the description out alone I could give a good overview of what our lab does and a few details about my subsection.

Also, I have no idea what to put for hours for this stuff. Undergrad was summers only, full time. Graduate is full time. Time for any given pub overlaps with other projects and so on. I was going to just put 40/wk and then in the description include a quick note that says my hours/wk denote full time research work. Or for grad school I can average out a lower number I guess since for the first 2 years I was in classes so not full time for that period (for Research/Lab with start and end date this makes sense. in the publications listings they want hours/wk but have no start/end dates... aaghh.. might be overthinking this, but trying to be accurate).

Any comments or suggestions?

Quick question: I am listing all of my shadowing in one space and wanted to know if I need to include contact info for them all? Maybe just mention phone number after each entry in the description?

Edit: Dang, I don't have room for phone numbers because I have 6 physicians listed and that takes up all the characters... What to do?

Last edited:
Quick question: I am listing all of my shadowing in one space and wanted to know if I need to include contact info for them all? Maybe just mention phone number after each entry in the description?

Edit: Dang, I don't have room for phone numbers because I have 6 physicians listed and that takes up all the characters... What to do?

You could maybe break it up into 2 by practice type...ie have one activity for primary care shadowing and another for specialty/acute care shadowing?

1) I plan on grouping all honors/awards together in one section and had a question about the date ranges/contact info. I am assuming I would just put the date of the most prestigious award?

2) And for contact info I was thinking of listing my pre-med advisor, would that be acceptable?
Yes, and the dates of others could go in the narrative.

2) That is fine. The registrar probably has them all on record too.

OK, having perused, I'm trying to break down research into its slots. I currently plan to do it like this

Publications
1slot - Journal Publications - Graduate
Conferences Attended
1slot - 2 Conferences - Graduate
Presentations/Posters (because I did not attend these confs)
1slot - 3 Conferences - Graduate
Research/Lab
1slot - Graduate Research (actual description of rsch, since with citations there will be no room in pub slots)
1slot - Undergraduate Research (actual description of rsch.. might be able to fit this in with the citations though)

Does this seem like a logical way to break it down? Obviously I can't describe every project in full but I thought by pulling the description out alone I could give a good overview of what our lab does and a few details about my subsection.

Also, I have no idea what to put for hours for this stuff. Undergrad was summers only, full time. Graduate is full time. Time for any given pub overlaps with other projects and so on. I was going to just put 40/wk and then in the description include a quick note that says my hours/wk denote full time research work. Or for grad school I can average out a lower number I guess since for the first 2 years I was in classes so not full time for that period (for Research/Lab with start and end date this makes sense. in the publications listings they want hours/wk but have no start/end dates
Your break down looks fine.

Averaging the hours per week over the full date span works best and if necessary (and if space is available) explain the seasonal or year-to-year hours/week variation.

If space is tight and you want to spread things out more, you could omit Conferences Attended (which means you didn't have a Poster/Presentation and just attended sessions) which may not do much for your application anyway. And you could mention the Posters/Presentations you helped author in the same space as the Research, giving credit to the actual presenter. Then you could spread the more important things out a bit more.

From Post #182:
If all the shadowing were done at one institution, like a clinic, or under the umbrella of an organized program, then you could list that. If the shadowing was a hodgepodge of docs, then I'd list the one with the greatest number of hours first, using that contact info, and list individual name, specialty, date span, total hours, contact info for each of the others in the narrative.
You can also cut down any descriptions you included so the contact information will fit.

If I volunteered at the same hospital but held different positions, should I list all of them under one slot?

Also, if I recently started a new community service activity this month, would it be okay to add it if I am planning on continuing it throughout this year? I am worried the adcomms will think negatively of me starting an activity right before applications open.

Quick question: I've spent the last two summers doing the same reserch internship program twice, working for the same PI both summers. I did a related, yet distinct, research project each summer. (Cell line work with different investigational chemo drugs)

I'm wondering whether I should split these summers into two separate ECs or try and cram them both in under one.
If I put them together I'm not sure how the "hours per week" will work out. I spent 40 hrs a week during the internships with nothing in between.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

i'm sure i have seen this answered in another thread, but i can't find it with the search, and if it was answered in here, i apologize. i really did just go through it all :oops:

i have tutored on and off for a couple of years, never under anyone's supervision, and never for money. i would like to write about the experience. who should i put as the contact? myself? thanks!

1) If I volunteered at the same hospital but held different positions, should I list all of them under one slot?

2) Also, if I recently started a new community service activity this month, would it be okay to add it if I am planning on continuing it throughout this year? I am worried the adcomms will think negatively of me starting an activity right before applications open.
1) If there was no time gap beteen the two positions, I would list them together. If there was a time gap and you have the space, you can split them. Otherwise, list one time span in the header and refer to the second time span in the narrative, unless they were close enough time-wise that averaging the hours per week (including the time gap) isn't too small.

Quick question: I've spent the last two summers doing the same reserch internship program twice, working for the same PI both summers. I did a related, yet distinct, research project each summer. (Cell line work with different investigational chemo drugs)

I'm wondering whether I should split these summers into two separate ECs or try and cram them both in under one.
If I put them together I'm not sure how the "hours per week" will work out. I spent 40 hrs a week during the internships with nothing in between.

Any suggestions?
If you have the space, put them into two separate spots. If you don't, list the date span for just one, then mention the other with it's own information in the narrative.

i have tutored on and off for a couple of years, never under anyone's supervision, and never for money. i would like to write about the experience. who should i put as the contact? myself? thanks!
I'd list one of the most recent tutees (or a parent, if you've tutored younger persons).

Your break down looks fine.

Averaging the hours per week over the full date span works best and if necessary (and if space is available) explain the seasonal or year-to-year hours/week variation.

If space is tight and you want to spread things out more, you could omit Conferences Attended (which means you didn't have a Poster/Presentation and just attended sessions) which may not do much for your application anyway. And you could mention the Posters/Presentations you helped author in the same space as the Research, giving credit to the actual presenter. Then you could spread the more important things out a bit more.

thank you cat!

wrt the bolded, so for 'grad school' or 'undergrad' research in general this is easy, but how would you do that for publications? how do you guesstimate when work for the pub began (since you're working on various things at once), or should i likely just use again all of grad school or all of my undergrad research time?

second, so conferences attended is just if you went and had no publication? i listed the ones i attended and presented/had a poster under 'conf attended' and put the ones i had pubs/posters for but DIDNT attend under presentations/posters... so i guess i should put everything under the pres/posters umbrella then?

Status
Not open for further replies.