Tips for Gen Chem 2 and Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VJ_2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, I'm an undergrad sophomore and will be taking Gen chem 2 this fall, I would really like some study tips because I feel chem is my weak spot because I barely made a B in gen chem 1 and I'm really worried about my grades for the future and more tough classes like Orgo 1 and 2, Biochem, and Gen chem 2. I have done Khan Academy and do the homework questions but the thing is I didn't take AP chem in high school and to me it seems all professors think everyone did and should know most of the stuff. A lot of the concepts are hard to comprehend and although I feel I have got it, my exam performance reflects otherwise. I get really nervous during my exams and feel like a complete idiot. So any tips on how to stay on top of topics would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reviewing everyday (with flash cards preferably, especially equations/etc.), endless practice questions, gets tutor from your institution early on so you don’t get lost and panic at the end of the semester, prep really well for your lab component to get the most out of it ( and clarify the practical aspects of chem).

Also, a B is a good start. You’ll do great!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm horrible at chem but I think with proper study hours and seeking out study materials that work for you may help to actually comprehend the material. It may take you to try more than a few different study guides to find the right one for you.
What is the rule of thumb? 3 study hrs for every hour of class. Try that in a very quiet place without any social media or texting and see how it works. It's what I plan to try this fall, I'll be retaking gen chem I.

Members don't see this ad :)
I earner a B in chem 1 as well. The trick to all your chemistry classes, up to biochem, is to understand the material BEFORE lecture. Don’t need to memorize, take notes, or do practice problems. Just understand the slides (assuming they’re online beforehand). When you’re professor is lecturing you’ll understanding everything they’re saying, follow along with problems easily, and spend much much less time trying to figure out titrations and electrochem in the corner of your library all alone at 2am.

I started approaching my chemistry classes this way and haven't gotten a B since.

I'm horrible at chem but I think with proper study hours and seeking out study materials that work for you may help to actually comprehend the material. It may take you to try more than a few different study guides to find the right one for you.
What is the rule of thumb? 3 study hrs for every hour of class. Try that in a very quiet place without any social media or texting and see how it works. It's what I plan to try this fall, I'll be retaking gen chem I.
I took Honors gen chem 1 in the fall thinking I'll be fine but ended up with a D and was shocked but retook normal gen chem 1 in the spring and I was relieved to see the B.

Also my other point of concern is being able to perform well in Bio 124 and Gen Chem 2 and being a Neuroscience major, all my psych/ neuron classes are really hard, so how do I manage all this without being a recluse and still having a little fun in college and have social life. Also how much of the chem textbook help, I have barely touched it cuz I think the notes, khan academy videos and practice problems are more efficient.

Also my other point of concern is being able to perform well in Bio 124 and Gen Chem 2 and being a Neuroscience major, all my psych/ neuron classes are really hard, so how do I manage all this without being a recluse and still having a little fun in college and have social life. Also how much of the chem textbook help, I have barely touched it cuz I think the notes, khan academy videos and practice problems are more efficient.
Personally knowing what I know now, I would not take a full course load if they are that difficult. I think the more time u put in studying the better you'll do. Also you should read your text book, I recently learned that the best way to stay on track is to get your reading done before the class the particular chapter is for because lecture & recitation will not cover every single thing you're supposed to know for that chapter. so if class is mon n wed make sure u read the chpt for those days on sat/sun & Tues. Also do every single problem even the ones inside the chapter. The more you practice problems the better you'll become at identifying different types of problems.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised how much you grow as a student during college! I was nervous the first time I took chem bio and calc together, but hard work and good study habits go a long way and even allow for a decent amount of social life.

This being said, if getting good grades and going to medical school was easy, everyone would do it. You’ll be working harder than a lot of your friends and will have to pass on hanging out with them sometimes, but its a small price to pay in becoming a doctor

I started using the Pomodoro Technique when I took Orgo and I swear by it. I study for like 45 minutes and then take a 10 or 15 minute break and keep everything on a timer. It was useful for me because I felt like I could only concentrate and absorb material for so long and then I stopped processing it, but taking a short break would reinvigorate me for the next batch of studying. I also found it super useful to buy a whiteboard for rote memorization heavy classes like Orgo or biochemistry bc then I could just write the same thing over and over again until I memorized it and not waste a ton of paper. But everyone studies differently. If you’re having a hard time retaining information, maybe try switching up your study habits. And if you’re really struggling with test anxiety, I recommend talking to your school counselor to see if they have advice about that. I’m sure they’ve helped plenty of students with that. Best of luck!

I started using the Pomodoro Technique when I took Orgo and I swear by it. I study for like 45 minutes and then take a 10 or 15 minute break and keep everything on a timer. It was useful for me because I felt like I could only concentrate and absorb material for so long and then I stopped processing it, but taking a short break would reinvigorate me for the next batch of studying. I also found it super useful to buy a whiteboard for rote memorization heavy classes like Orgo or biochemistry bc then I could just write the same thing over and over again until I memorized it and not waste a ton of paper. But everyone studies differently. If you’re having a hard time retaining information, maybe try switching up your study habits. And if you’re really struggling with test anxiety, I recommend talking to your school counselor to see if they have advice about that. I’m sure they’ve helped plenty of students with that. Best of luck!
I really like your idea of buying a whiteboard and taking a break in between studying because I surely drift away from the material and can't concentrate at times. By the way would you mind elaborating more eon this Pomodoro Technique?

Tyler Dewitt on YouTube has some great videos.

Chem II is a lot of math but it's stuff that doesn't come back in Organic Chemistry. There's a bit of it on the MCAT though so pay attention to kinetics and equilibrium. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Tyler Dewitt on YouTube has some great videos.

Chem II is a lot of math but it's stuff that doesn't come back in Organic Chemistry. There's a bit of it on the MCAT though so pay attention to kinetics and equilibrium. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

I recommend my students watch Tyler's videos. They are done at a good level.

Also, remember why you are learning the topics. Each of the topics does have application in medicine, but due to time constraints we can't go into applications. (I tell my students this at the start of each term.)