Tips for getting a mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this post is misplaced. So I am beginning my 3rd year of medical school at an Osteopathic school. My school doesn't have a home program and I have been sending numerous emails out to individuals in the specialties that I am interested in trying to acquire a mentor/research opportunities etc. I have had very minimal luck.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions with finding a mentor in Neurosurgery and Surgical oncology? I know they are very different specialties but these are what I am interested in at the moment and I would love to be able to connect with people in these fields (yes I have tried twitter with not much luck).

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What do your emails entail? Can you give an example of what you send?

Also, mentors pick their mentees, not the other way around

Reactions: 1 user
What do your emails entail? Can you give an example of what you send?

Also, mentors pick their mentees, not the other way around

Hey, thanks for the response!

So basically I introduce myself and give a little info about where I am at school wise and what my interests are as well as what I am looking to get out of a mentor. I also attach my CV as well which has a little more about my academics and research.

Any suggestions on what to change?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for the response!

So basically I introduce myself and give a little info about where I am at school wise and what my interests are as well as what I am looking to get out of a mentor. I also attach my CV as well which has a little more about my academics and research.

Any suggestions on what to change?
You explain how you will benefit from the relationship but what about them? What makes you think a hot-shot neurosurgeon is going to respond to that email? Give them a reason

This is usually why I start out by just expressing interest in their field and mentioning I would love to spend a half day seeing how they work/shadow/pick their brain (aka stroke their ego a bit by asking them questions). Putting a face to a name is a minor inconvenience but a worthy investment in my eyes. I'd usually follow up with a thank you email/text. On the second go around, I'd shadow again or just meet for coffee and ask if they had any projects/connections I could help complete/lighten their load (as opposed to just flat-out asking for projects which come across as greedy).

Again, I'm also just starting to develop mentor relationships as an MS but I've found these small but simple things really make an impact. You could also mention that you don't have a home program in specialty X to help give some context as to why you're reaching out to non-faculty.

You explain how you will benefit from the relationship but what about them? What makes you think a hot-shot neurosurgeon is going to respond to that email? Give them a reason

This is usually why I start out by just expressing interest in their field and mentioning I would love to spend a half day seeing how they work/shadow/pick their brain (aka stroke their ego a bit by asking them questions). Putting a face to a name is a minor inconvenience but a worthy investment in my eyes. I'd usually follow up with a thank you email/text. On the second go around, I'd shadow again or just meet for coffee and ask if they had any projects/connections I could help complete/lighten their load (as opposed to just flat-out asking for projects which come across as greedy).

Again, I'm also just starting to develop mentor relationships as an MS but I've found these small but simple things really make an impact. You could also mention that you don't have a home program in specialty X to help give some context as to why you're reaching out to non-faculty.

Thank you!

So I think that I may have tried to anonymize my response to you a little to much and left out a few aspects. So I also note why I am interested in these fields (had NS as a 5 year old and ever since have ben interested) or that (a close family member had cancer and I am wanting to specialize in this for xyz reason).

I also mention that I do not have a home program in my emails but I have never thought to take the "stroking their ego" route.

I will say though that I dont say "Hi can I have all the projects you're working on" lol. I more so express my interest in the field they are in and ask if they have any suggestions on finding research opportunities in the field etc.

I really appreciate all of the advice you have given me. These are angles that I have not thought about for approaching these physicians.