Not progressing as I had expected in elective ortho, any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc mu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The attendings are very accomodating when it comes to trauma, they give me autonomy, try really hard to teach and share the load...etc and I got pretty good at doing fractures but my elective surgery skills are very lacking (carpal tunnel, trigger finger, TKA and THA is literally all I can do), so I talked about this with my mentor and he said that is pretty much all the elective I will need and be doing as a general orthopedic surgeon after residency, I told him I expected to at least know basic knee/shoulder scopes and he said that they are now a subspecialty domain.

So what do you guys think? is this really good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite the contrary ortho is top 2 on my list of potential specialties, I am just a bit neurotic which is why such things concern me when it comes to the future of a potential specialty

This is a post from 10 months ago. How are you already a resident?

Ortho residency, check post history, I started med in 2017

You just made a thread about ophtho in sep of 22. But even if you did decide on Ortho and now are a resident, it has only been 3 months since you’ve been doing Ortho. Talking about any skills at this point is almost laughable. You probably can’t even close the skin properly yet. Not trying to be a dick, but relax, it’s a 5 year residency (possibly longer if international). No way in hell that you can do any of the operations you listed independently after three months of training.

Reactions: 1 user
You just made a thread about ophtho in sep of 22. But even if you did decide on Ortho and now are a resident, it has only been 3 months since you’ve been doing Ortho. Talking about any skills at this point is almost laughable. You probably can’t even close the skin properly yet. Not trying to be a dick, but relax, it’s a 5 year residency (possibly longer if international). No way in hell that you can do any of the operations you listed independently after three months of training.
It's just the attitude that I have a problem with personally, I know it is still very early on and things may change down the line, we will see if it improves within a year or two, i'll be back to update

If I’m reading this correctly, you are an Ortho intern. So basically a Gen surg intern. And you are concerned that you aren’t driving the bus on most of the cases during one of your 3 months of Ortho your intern year. Is that accurate?

Slow your roll bud.

Reactions: 3 users
If I’m reading this correctly, you are an Ortho intern. So basically a Gen surg intern. And you are concerned that you aren’t driving the bus on most of the cases during one of your 3 months of Ortho your intern year. Is that accurate?

Slow your roll bud.
I am actually not in the US, here we start ortho directly with no GS year plus i am about to finish intern year and as I said above my attendings were fantastic mentors for trauma but they won't bother to teach me how to scope as they consider it a "subspecialty" domain, that was my gripe, they were very accomodating with arthroplasty for example guiding me through simple primaries and such so I know that they could do the same for sports if they wanted to, which is why i was asking if it was really unimportant for me to learn

I am actually not in the US, here we start ortho directly with no GS year plus i am about to finish intern year and as I said above my attendings were fantastic mentors for trauma but they won't bother to teach me how to scope as they consider it a "subspecialty" domain, that was my gripe, they were very accomodating with arthroplasty for example guiding me through simple primaries and such so I know that they could do the same for sports if they wanted to, which is why i was asking if it was really unimportant for me to learn

Still say slow your roll. Maybe listen to your mentors.

Reactions: 3 users