Tips for MMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanda

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just got waitlisted for UQ-MD. I thought the interview went okay (not terrible but not the best). I have a 507 MCAT. I have interviews for USyd and I want to do well on that and if you guys have any tips (what you think you did well on the interview vs. what not to do). Let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what your prep was like but the best advice I have is to practice a fair amount like it's the real thing with someone else. I found a couple MMI books online that I read through to help me develop an understanding of what a good response sounds like and I went through almost all of the practice interview questions with my wife who acted as the interviewer. So each question I would practice reading the prompt, walking in and shaking the interviewers hand, sitting down, and giving my answer while timed. After my time ran out, I would say thanks, shake her hand again, and walk out of the room for the next prompt. This is obviously different if it's a virtual interview but the point is to mimic the real thing as much as possible. I found it was really helpful for both learning how to work through difficult questions and how to not panic if I had a mind blank or made a mistake. During the real thing I did much better than my first practices and I left really happy with the experience.

I'm not sure what your prep was like but the best advice I have is to practice a fair amount like it's the real thing with someone else. I found a couple MMI books online that I read through to help me develop an understanding of what a good response sounds like and I went through almost all of the practice interview questions with my wife who acted as the interviewer. So each question I would practice reading the prompt, walking in and shaking the interviewers hand, sitting down, and giving my answer while timed. After my time ran out, I would say thanks, shake her hand again, and walk out of the room for the next prompt. This is obviously different if it's a virtual interview but the point is to mimic the real thing as much as possible. I found it was really helpful for both learning how to work through difficult questions and how to not panic if I had a mind blank or made a mistake. During the real thing I did much better than my first practices and I left really happy with the experience.
thank you so much!

To be honest, I felt like I was a mess for UQ's interview LOL I think I let my nerves get the best of me and I almost over prepared if that's a thing. I would try to relax a day or two before it instead of prepping up until the last minute.

something that is super helpful is to video record yourself while answer MMI questions. Also try use new questions that you haven't seen before when doing this. Play it back and see where you're stumbling or doing well :) It's good for getting used to the whole skype formate. Even better if you can get a friend over skype to do this with you.