Tips for staying calm, and keeping others calm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you guys can intubate pregnant queen ants, I imagine you are often called when things are going pear-shaped. How do you keep yourself calm and calm others when chaos seems to have taken over? Are there any tips or techniques that you pass on to your residents/students? Or, is staying calm just something you inately know how to do?

Members don't see this ad.

One word...experience. Once you have been in the trenches long enough, it comes naturally. XC

Xclamp said:
One word...experience. Once you have been in the trenches long enough, it comes naturally. XC

That is not accurate. I know many people who are very "experienced" at panicking and making things worse.

Here is what I think....some people have it, and others just don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Annette said:
Since you guys can intubate pregnant queen ants, I imagine you are often called when things are going pear-shaped. How do you keep yourself calm and calm others when chaos seems to have taken over? Are there any tips or techniques that you pass on to your residents/students? Or, is staying calm just something you inately know how to do?

Gotta agree with Mil on this. Some have and some don't.

But experience does help.

i disagree..

and i agree...

i think staying calm is inate... and usually gets better with increasing knowledge and experience....

keeping others calm usually revolves around creating a leadership positiong and guiding the process... the reason others panic is that 1) they have a knowledge deficit 2) they are overwhelmed with information 3) they are overwhelmed with responsibility. If i see somebody losing their cool, I just take over the leadership of the situation and then assign them with a very specific task (that i know they can handle). that usually distracts them enough and renders them functional again.

militarymd said:
That is not accurate. I know many people who are very "experienced" at panicking and making things worse.

Agree here too.

Have worked with many attendings (during residency) who had a panic threshhold way too low for this specialty.

Ya gotta keep it light and dont get all involved in the tense, drama filled moment. If someone is freakin out, either ignore them or say something like

"Dude, RELAX! I stayed at a Holiday Express last night."

Keep it light.

militarymd said:

NICE AVATAR MIL!!!

Is that a new bike?

Is that ...what was the dudes name in The Fast and Furious...Johnny Chan standing there?

jetproppilot said:
NICE AVATAR MIL!!!

Is that a new bike?

Is that ...what was the dudes name in The Fast and Furious...Johnny Chan standing there?

That's me with my new bike. This thing is a rocket. 70mph in first gear..

I got the BMW k1200s....it is hard to stay calm on full throttle.., but I'm practicing.

Here is a better photo:
538079331305_0_ALB.jpg

Holy ****, that is a beautiful bike. Nice contrast with the riding gear.