tips for summer organic 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking organic chem 2 this summer, it's a 6-week course and I'm also taking the lab with it. I got an A- in organic 1 but only because I devoted all the time I could to it along with my other classes. I think it'll be my all-time least favorite class..so are there any tips for doing well and keeping up w/ the summer class? And anyone that took it during summer, what was your schedule like?

Members don't see this ad.

Start studying for it now.

How can you even learn Orgo II that quickly? I'm studying for it right now(Doing homework) and seriously... the amount of work I have to do for an A is ridiculous. I'm not joking that I spend 2 hours/day on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you even learn Orgo II that quickly? I'm studying for it right now(Doing homework) and seriously... the amount of work I have to do for an A is ridiculous. I'm not joking that I spend 2 hours/day on it.

Two hours a day!?!? How do you find time to eat and sleep?

errr, sorry, I guess I meant two hours on the days that I have it... So I guess that's about half the amount of time I made it sound like...

But on the sleep part:

Sleep and I have had a difficult relationship. Sleep's complaint is that we don't spend enough "quality time" together, further listing infrequent visits as a source of trouble. It seems as though I don't "put aside regular hours" for which to placate sleep. Alas, we've had a falling out =(

errr, sorry, I guess I meant two hours on the days that I have it... So I guess that's about half the amount of time I made it sound like...

But on the sleep part:

Sleep and I have had a difficult relationship. Sleep's complaint is that we don't spend enough "quality time" together, further listing infrequent visits as a source of trouble. It seems as though I don't "put aside regular hours" for which to placate sleep. Alas, we've had a falling out =(
divorce the bitch. you don't need her! :D :D :D

I know it's a short amt of time and I remember how much work I did for organic 1, that's why I was asking for tips. I have been studying a bit for it this semester and going over my organic 1 stuff since I just had it in fall. The only reason I'm taking it this summer is b/c as a soph. I couldn't get into the spring class, they don't offer it in fall, and I didn't want to take it along w/ physics 2, physiology & genetics next spring while studying for my mcats.

Yeah I'm on the quarter system and took the first two quarters over the summer. It was 3 weeks/quarter during the summer. We went through a chapter a day and had an exam every Friday. Labs were 6hrs, I can't remember of they were once/week or twice. All I can say is be ready to not have any life whatsoever outside of Organic Chemistry! It's good you are reviewing now, but you will also probably have to try to get ahead on weekends instead of using them to just catch up. But if I could do it so can you! Good luck! :thumbup:

when i took organic 2 over the summer i missed a problem on one test because i spelled it "Hukel's Rule" instead of "Huckel's Rule". I was like c'mon man it sounds the same and I only forgot one letter, but the professor was all like hell nah you didn't spell it the same so it's something completely different. i hated that guy.

Yeah I'm on the quarter system and took the first two quarters over the summer. It was 3 weeks/quarter during the summer. We went through a chapter a day and had an exam every Friday. Labs were 6hrs, I can't remember of they were once/week or twice. All I can say is be ready to not have any life whatsoever outside of Organic Chemistry! It's good you are reviewing now, but you will also probably have to try to get ahead on weekends instead of using them to just catch up. But if I could do it so can you! Good luck! :thumbup:

So you had both organics in six weeks? Or organic 2 in 6 weeks? I couldn't imagine having them both in that short time..there was a class that went through organic 2 in 4 weeks but I figured 6 should be a little better. My labs are twice a week..I guess it's good that's the only thing I'll be doing! But thanks for the encouragement!!

Also I'll be having a different prof than I had for organic 1 which is good b/c I couldn't stand him. I told him I was confused one day and asked what I could do to learn the material better..he said "Join the club, everyone's confused."

So you had both organics in six weeks? Or organic 2 in 6 weeks? I couldn't imagine having them both in that short time..there was a class that went through organic 2 in 4 weeks but I figured 6 should be a little better. My labs are twice a week..I guess it's good that's the only thing I'll be doing! But thanks for the encouragement!!

Also I'll be having a different prof than I had for organic 1 which is good b/c I couldn't stand him. I told him I was confused one day and asked what I could do to learn the material better..he said "Join the club, everyone's confused."

I had both organics in 6 weeks. Technically we covered the same amount of material as would be in both organics, but there was still one quarter left of biochem orgo that I waited to take. Just don't get too stressed out. I did and it didn't help. Easier said than done, though, right?

Bumpp, Im in the same position as the OP and would like more comments. Would taking the lab and the class together in only 6 weeks make it too much harder to get an A in both classes.

Bumpp, Im in the same position as the OP and would like more comments. Would taking the lab and the class together in only 6 weeks make it too much harder to get an A in both classes.

It will be harder, but not undoable (if that's even a word). As long as you don't plan to work or take other classes or something at the same time, you should be fine.:)

Two hours a day!?!? How do you find time to eat and sleep?

I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not. Two hours a day isn't much at all. I used to pull all-nighters, sometimes even for just a quiz. Ok, I know I'm nuts.:eek:

OP,

I took both during the summer... Orgo I and II. I aced both of them. I also retained it a lot better than other subjects and trust me, I'm NO genius!!!

It's about as unnatural a process as you can hope to spend your summer going through, but it's doable if you need to.

Now, let's say you're smarter than I am (likely). You won't need to study as much then, but I found that I had to average between 2-4 hours per day Monday through Friday (couldn't do more because I was working early mornings and late nights), then when the weekends came, it was a weekly marathon of about 16-20 hours per weekend... so my study time out of class and lab averaged to 36 - 45 hours or so per week. Now, I probably represent an extreme case, because I read very slowly (I have to in order to internalize stuff the way I like to), and for orgo I used to play with model kits to make sure I locked down stereochem concepts.

I'm fully convinced that you can ace orgo with less work than what I put in, but for what it's worth, that's what I did. Also, I spent the vast majority of that time struggling through problems.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone:) sounds like it'll be time consuming but manageable