Tips for the Last Month of Studying

Started by piggle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

piggle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm taking the MCAT on 8/17/2012 and with just a little over a month left, I wanted to make sure that my studying is effective. I've been studying for it since May, using Kaplan as my main avenue for reviewing, BR for physics review, EK 101 for extra verbal help, and TPR occasionally just for some extra knowledge/clarification. Now I'm pretty much done with content review, other than going over random bits and trouble spots to keep them fresh.

So far I've taken (PS/VS/BS):
Kaplan Diagnostic: 11/10/9
FL 1: 12/12/12
FL 2: 14/11/15
FL 8: 12/14/13
AAMC 3: 13/13/13
AAMC 8: 13/13/14

I've tried to incorporate as many CBTs into the next few weeks as possible, do any of you have any suggestions on which would be better to take? And finally, I was just wondering how you guys attack the writing portion. I've been trying to practice with the prompts they've posted on the AAMC website, but honestly, I don't really know how to grade myself.

Thanks so much! 🙂
 
Hey guys,

I'm taking the MCAT on 8/17/2012 and with just a little over a month left, I wanted to make sure that my studying is effective. I've been studying for it since May, using Kaplan as my main avenue for reviewing, BR for physics review, EK 101 for extra verbal help, and TPR occasionally just for some extra knowledge/clarification. Now I'm pretty much done with content review, other than going over random bits and trouble spots to keep them fresh.

So far I've taken (PS/VS/BS):
Kaplan Diagnostic: 11/10/9
FL 1: 12/12/12
FL 2: 14/11/15
FL 8: 12/14/13
AAMC 3: 13/13/13
AAMC 8: 13/13/14

I've tried to incorporate as many CBTs into the next few weeks as possible, do any of you have any suggestions on which would be better to take? And finally, I was just wondering how you guys attack the writing portion. I've been trying to practice with the prompts they've posted on the AAMC website, but honestly, I don't really know how to grade myself.

Thanks so much! 🙂

as long as you can write what the directions tell you to write, and can write coherently while showing some critical thinking about the prompt, then dont worry about that part of the test at all. just be sure to complete the tasks and you should get at least an O.
 
I've tried to incorporate as many CBTs into the next few weeks as possible, do any of you have any suggestions on which would be better to take? And finally, I was just wondering how you guys attack the writing portion. I've been trying to practice with the prompts they've posted on the AAMC website, but honestly, I don't really know how to grade myself.
Focus on the later AAMC FLs (#7-11). Those are generally agreed to be the most accurate representations of the real exam.

As far as the writing - I followed the thesis, antithesis, synthesis format and it worked great. Don't worry about it too much. On the real exam, the writing portion will be the least of your concerns and it is definitely the easiest part of the test. I can tell by the quality of the writing in your post that you will do absolutely fine. 🙂