Tips for the week before the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Progeny

Davinci
Reaction score
What are some tips for the week before the DAT? Should I be going over questions? Or should I review my notes?

Members don't see this ad.

I found reviewing my notes and going through questions I had trouble with quite helpful. The important thing is to avoid burning out so try not overdoing it the last week. Best of luck!

xoxo

Just take it easy! You’ve worked hard up until this point, relax a bit so you can go in fresh and rejuvenated. I resumed playing more video games (2 hrs/day) during my last week, when for the three months leading up to the last week, I played maybe 1 hr/week. I scored a 26 AA, 24 TS, and 30 PAT. Rest and recreation are important, and it’s why I felt calm, confident, and alert going into my test. Don’t overdo it!

What are some tips for the week before the DAT? Should I be going over questions? Or should I review my notes?
I would focus on any areas of weakness, at this point you should feel very confident and just tying up loose ends. I would avoid doing anything that makes you feel anxious, by that I mean adding any new materials to your study plan. If for any reason you are not feeling fully prepared, you have the option to reschedule, I am just throwing that out there. No one wants to take this exam more than once.

Wishing you all the best...#think30...Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Do both. I know people say don't burnout but that's because they are probably weaklings.

Work a few full length practice exams early in the week, then review your difficult concepts hard for the couple of days before the exam.

I worked two a day for 3 days straight. One in the AM followed by review. 2 hour lunch break. One in the PM followed by review.
Then for the 3 days before the exam, I just reviewed the concepts I frequently missed on those exams. The morning of, I got up a couple hours early and reviewed a couple of nitty gritty memorization things. Most people would barf and cry in their room at the idea of studying the day before a big exam - their heads might explode when they see I reviewed the morning of too.

But repetition like that works well for some people - works great for me. I used that same intensity throughout undergrad and grad school and it worked great for me. I'm using that intensity in dental school now, and guess what ---- still working great.

You do you because only you know yourself, grasshoppa.

Golfballer

I'd review only questions you had a tough time on (assuming you noted them down in early attempts) and your notes. I whittled my already sparse notes down to only the trickiest concepts as I progressed in my studying. It's a poor use of time to review stuff you are really solid on.