Tips on getting into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClaudiuB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm an european trained dentist and I'll move to the US in July. I'm currently living in Beijing China and for the last 3 years, I didn't have a job. I just cleared my nbde part 1 and am planning on taking toefl at the end of this month and then I'll apply for schools.
I wonder if anyone could give me some ideas about:
-how could I increase my chance of getting into a school in the states with only nbde part 1(I've read that people highly encourage having part 2 as well, otherwise you're a strong candidate)?
-would going to congresses/conferences in the area matter?
-would doing internships at chinese clinics/hospital make me more "interesting"?
Please drop a line and give your opinion about my situation. Any suggestions are helpful
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Not enough information to give you other then a generic advice
Lets start with one - if you are not a resident of the USA think first about how you are going to finance you dental school
Anything out of the ordinary will make you more interesting and there is a lot of info about it in this forum. I try to talk about things a lot of people forget or postpone until it's too late. Concentrate on your English, especially speaking and pronunciation to leave the best impression during the interview. Plan on attending some bench test prep courses as well

Not enough information to give you other then a generic advice
Lets start with one - if you are not a resident of the USA think first about how you are going to finance you dental school
Anything out of the ordinary will make you more interesting and there is a lot of info about it in this forum. I try to talk about things a lot of people forget or postpone until it's too late. Concentrate on your English, especially speaking and pronunciation to leave the best impression during the interview. Plan on attending some bench test prep courses as well

Thank you for your response.
To clarify, I am an American so taking out a loan wouldn't be a problem.
I'm just trying to figure out ways to improve my chances of getting in, maybe on my first try... and without nbde 2

Thank you for your response.
To clarify, I am an American so taking out a loan wouldn't be a problem.
I'm just trying to figure out ways to improve my chances of getting in, maybe on my first try... and without nbde 2
You need to have everything else then