Tips on starting rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortunestar

Hi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making a list of PI's I'd like to do rotations with and have come across a few questions.

First, how do you collect feedback from members of the PI's lab when you only have an hour to talk with the advisor during Second Look weekend? Is Second look the only time you are usually given to make a decision about which lab to do your first rotations?

Second, what are indicators of a good mentor and well-respected thesis advisor? number of citations, journals published and where, etc. Please add! =)

Lastly, any tips you can share will greatly add to the usefulness of this thread. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts/experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of doing the same. From talking with a few people, I have come across some general guidelines.

1) Areas of interest
2) Record of training physician scientist/scientist/ physician
3) Publication record
4) R01s
5) personal chemistry (I would probably put this as # 1)

Usually, the director of the MD/PhD program are a good resource to find good mentors. They know the lay of the land so to speak.

I do not know any "signs" to look for a good mentor. I think that is why we do rotations, and it should separate the good from the bad.

I am sure current students or mods can share some more pearls of wisdom here ;);)

At wherever you are, it is likely that the program will be willing to work with you in the following way: You pick a lab to rotate in, spend 1-2 weeks there are realize it is not for you, then transfer to a different lab to finish your rotation (maybe add a week or whatever to meet requirements).

At the programs I have talked with, there is no pressure to force you to stay in a place 4-8 weeks that you are certain is not for you after week 1.