MD & DO Tips/tricks for keeping up with material and staying focused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrenalinejunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my first semester and looking over the schedule for second semester, I am slightly terrified because of how much is going on in one day. It's not necessarily the amount of material, but more so seeing 7-8 lectures scheduled in one day.

This past semester, we mainly had lectures in the morning and sitting through four lectures straight was a feat in itself (sitting in a chair for four hours and not moving is dreadful). I slowly transitioned to watching lectures online at home simply because it was a better use of my time. But I don't think I can pull that stunt next semester and stay caught up daily.

So my question is - how do you stay focused/maintain concentration for 7-8 lectures from 8 AM - 4/5 PM. Can you even absorb anything you hear/learn in those last few lectures?

If you still watched lectures at home, how do you keep up so you don't fall behind? All advice, tricks, tips welcome to assuage my fears - thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

When you watch lectures at home you are bound to fall behind. I usually make a personal schedule with what I expect to accomplish by the end of the week. Sitting through lecture does help focus on the task at hand and at least get one, albeit weak, pass of the material. Play around with it and see what works for you. There is no magic formula for motivation since everyone's goals are different and they get motivated by different things. What is necessary is discipline.

I'm finishing up my first semester and looking over the schedule for second semester, I am slightly terrified because of how much is going on in one day. It's not necessarily the amount of material, but more so seeing 7-8 lectures scheduled in one day.

This past semester, we mainly had lectures in the morning and sitting through four lectures straight was a feat in itself (sitting in a chair for four hours and not moving is dreadful). I slowly transitioned to watching lectures online at home simply because it was a better use of my time. But I don't think I can pull that stunt next semester and stay caught up daily.

So my question is - how do you stay focused/maintain concentration for 7-8 lectures from 8 AM - 4/5 PM. Can you even absorb anything you hear/learn in those last few lectures?

If you still watched lectures at home, how do you keep up so you don't fall behind? All advice, tricks, tips welcome to assuage my fears - thanks in advance!
I learned the best way for me to pay attention to lecture is to learn about the topics in outside resources first (B+B/anki). Then you can start to see what is being emphasized during lectures and the lecturer can (hopefully) help give you a better understanding of what's going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you watch lectures at home you are bound to fall behind. I usually make a personal schedule with what I expect to accomplish by the end of the week. Sitting through lecture does help focus on the task at hand and at least get one, albeit weak, pass of the material. Play around with it and see what works for you. There is no magic formula for motivation since everyone's goals are different and they get motivated by different things. What is necessary is discipline.

Honestly I found the block I didn't do so hot was the one where I sat through 6+ hours of lecture a day. There just hit a point where I couldn't focus on what was being said, and was too tired at night to really commit to the details. Plan on staying home this next block and do more active learning where I'm making charts and flashcards.

Honestly I found the block I didn't do so hot was the one where I sat through 6+ hours of lecture a day. There just hit a point where I couldn't focus on what was being said, and was too tired at night to really commit to the details. Plan on staying home this next block and do more active learning where I'm making charts and flashcards.
my best units are where I attend lecture religiously , make anki during the lecture and then crush cards on the weekend. Everyone is different, but this works for me for the in house exams.

Reactions: 1 user
my best units are where I attend lecture religiously , make anki during the lecture and then crush cards on the weekend. Everyone is different, but this works for me for the in house exams.
damn man idk how you do it. I feel like I spend maybe 6 hours MAX per day on anything school related including lectures. You really must have drive/discipline

damn man idk how you do it. I feel like I spend maybe 6 hours MAX per day on anything school related including lectures. You really must have drive/discipline
honestly, its hard to do this outside of class. i can end up in a 3 hour youtube binge or something crazy. In class I get soo bored that it just forces me to work. average in the low 90's this year for all my classes combined. I am the least disciplined person I know , but you just have to put yourself in a position where studying is the most pleasant option compared to alternatives.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly, its hard to do this outside of class. i can end up in a 3 hour youtube binge or something crazy. In class I get soo bored that it just forces me to work. average in the low 90's this year for all my classes combined. I am the least disciplined person I know , but you just have to put yourself in a position where studying is the most pleasant option compared to alternatives.
dude sometimes i get myself into a 3 week youtube binge.

Reactions: 5 users
Part of medical school is getting comfortable in getting a little behind. I would always reserve on weekend day to catch up on a couple lectures that I hadn't watched yet. Some weeks are just jam-packed, but you can always catch back up.