Tired of reading...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychFuture

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any audio sources for good introductory Psychiatry material, even CME topic specific sources would be great. I have so much reading and once in awhile I would love to take a break and supplement my reading with an audio source.

Thanks.

Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

PsychFuture said:
Are there any audio sources for good introductory Psychiatry material, even CME topic specific sources would be great. I have so much reading and once in awhile I would love to take a break and supplement my reading with an audio source.

Thanks.

Sarah

I really enjoy the Audio Digest lectures whilst driving to and fro. They send a new CD every other week. I think you can look at outlines of past lectures on their website, and listen to a few of them. Downside is that it ain't cheap or free.

www.audiodigest.com

I see that student/residents get a significant discount. I am seriously considering this to supplement my reading. Were you happy with the quality of the content? $114 per year is not that bad considering the cost of textbooks etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsychFuture said:
I see that student/residents get a significant discount. I am seriously considering this to supplement my reading. Were you happy with the quality of the content? $114 per year is not that bad considering the cost of textbooks etc.

There's a definite bell curve to it. Some of them are outstanding. Lectures that come to mind are Martin Samuel's dementia for non-neurologists and pretty much anything by Phil Resnick in forensics.

Most of them are pretty good, but every now and then one comes along that is a real stinker.

Overall, I consider the money well spent, and my program let me use book fund money to get the subscription. It's nice to be able to pull out a CD when preparing for a presentation, as they generally have good references.

Gosh, I wonder if I can get them to throw me a couple of free issues now that I've plugged their site. ;)

Milo said:
There's a definite bell curve to it. Some of them are outstanding. Lectures that come to mind are Martin Samuel's dementia for non-neurologists and pretty much anything by Phil Resnick in forensics.

Most of them are pretty good, but every now and then one comes along that is a real stinker.

Overall, I consider the money well spent, and my program let me use book fund money to get the subscription. It's nice to be able to pull out a CD when preparing for a presentation, as they generally have good references.

Gosh, I wonder if I can get them to throw me a couple of free issues now that I've plugged their site. ;)

Sold me. Any chance you would be willing to recommend some of the best past issues so that I could purchase a few for review of intro topics mood disorders, psychosis etc.

There was a really good one on violence assessment, but I can't remember the speaker or the year.

Some of the ones that stick out in my mind as pretty good that cover basic topics are:

Shuckit, Apr 7, 2005 - Substance Abuse
Jibson, Feb. 7, 2005 - biological review of antipsychotic medications
Samuels, Mar 2003 - dementia, delirium