tired of retail... how do i get out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been in retail for almost 6 years now. i cant stand it anymore. i have a bad back and standing on my feet 13 hours a day staring down at a computer screen doesnt help any. im burned out dealing with it all. i have been applying to a local hospital for 2 years now. they seem to always hire someonelse. ive applied 8 times or so everytime a job opening arises. how do you get into hospital or home infusion or whatever. i have no experience. this seems to be the big issue. i have been thinking about geting an MPH or MBA online. so i can move on up and out of retail. anybody have any tips on how to free the chains of retail pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive been in retail for almost 6 years now. i cant stand it anymore. i have a bad back and standing on my feet 13 hours a day staring down at a computer screen doesnt help any. im burned out dealing with it all. i have been applying to a local hospital for 2 years now. they seem to always hire someonelse. ive applied 8 times or so everytime a job opening arises. how do you get into hospital or home infusion or whatever. i have no experience. this seems to be the big issue. i have been thinking about geting an MPH or MBA online. so i can move on up and out of retail. anybody have any tips on how to free the chains of retail pharmacy?

You are at the same point I am at. You get to that 6-year point and all your patience has run out. The 12 hour days, inadequate staffing, idiot customers, idiot upper management feels like a 1000 pound weight crushing your soul. The problem is they know this at the hospitals you are applying at. Every time I apply to a hospital I can see them tossing my app in the trash and muttering, "damn retail burnout." I hate to say we are stuck but….we may be stuck. The farther we get away from pharmacy school the less attractive we are to a hospital. I am not sure of your situation but I cannot take a 100k a year pay cut to drop out and do a residency. So here we are stuck trying to survive at the corporate retail slave shops.

You are at the same point I am at. You get to that 6-year point and all your patience has run out. The 12 hour days, inadequate staffing, idiot customers, idiot upper management feels like a 1000 pound weight crushing your soul. The problem is they know this at the hospitals you are applying at. Every time I apply to a hospital I can see them tossing my app in the trash and muttering, “damn retail burnout.” I hate to say we are stuck but….we may be stuck. The farther we get away from pharmacy school the less attractive we are to a hospital. I am not sure of your situation but I cannot take a 100k a year pay cut to drop out and do a residency. So here we are stuck trying to survive at the corporate retail slave shops.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeNC54FMrQ&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I think evening MBA is the way to go. A residency leads to a low income for 1 year and no increased earning power than retail after completion. Evening MBA will increase your earning power without causing an acute budget deficit. With luck, you might even get your employer to pay for some of the tuition.

Just a quick bone to pick, if you hate standing all day, why do you stand?

I'm lucky in that at the pharmacy I intern at, we have nice comfy drafting stools available. I sit in them almost constantly, even when Im at the window doing data entry. I'm a taller guy, 6 foot, so standing and looking down at the computer hurts my neck, legs, and would probably lead to back problems in the future. Nobody has said anything to me, including patients or other pharmacists. If they did, I'd tell them that I suffer from neck pain so this makes things more comfortable to me (I don't have chronic pain, but whatever its not their business and it would shut them up).

If you want to help your pain, go invest in a drafting stool. They cost around $70 at an office supplier, and their quite comfortable. You can ask work to supply one but thats unlikely. Still, I would challenge anyone to find a corporate policy that requires pharmacists to be standing.

Yes, moving around is required in a pharmacy, but when your verifying, doing data entry, etc. you can sit and take a load off your back/legs/neck for even a few minutes. Or when your on the phone.

I'm lucky in that at the pharmacy I intern at, we have nice comfy drafting stools available. I sit in them almost constantly, even when Im at the window doing data entry. I'm a taller guy, 6 foot, so standing and looking down at the computer hurts my neck, legs, and would probably lead to back problems in the future. Nobody has said anything to me, including patients or other pharmacists. If they did, I'd tell them that I suffer from neck pain so this makes things more comfortable to me (I don't have chronic pain, but whatever its not their business and it would shut them up).

If you want to help your pain, go invest in a drafting stool. They cost around $70 at an office supplier, and their quite comfortable. You can ask work to supply one but thats unlikely. Still, I would challenge anyone to find a corporate policy that requires pharmacists to be standing.

Yes, moving around is required in a pharmacy, but when your verifying, doing data entry, etc. you can sit and take a load off your back/legs/neck for even a few minutes. Or when your on the phone.

Because corporate management does not like pharmacy staff sitting down while working. You actually have to file a request with the district supervisor to get a stool at CVS.

The pharmacist I work with has told me that she has seen many pregnant pharmacists she's worked with miscarry because of the stress. You also have to get a signed form from a MD to present to the district if you are pregnant and absolutely need to sit down.

Because corporate management does not like pharmacy staff sitting down while working. You actually have to file a request with the district supervisor to get a stool at CVS.

The pharmacist I work with has told me that she has seen many pregnant pharmacists she's worked with miscarry because of the stress. You also have to get a signed form from a MD to present to the district if you are pregnant and absolutely need to sit down.
I'm surprised they don't sue.

And I'll be sure not to apply at CVS.

residency or fellowship is the way to go, it opens up more doors, you get a mba, but the work experience is just working retail (which really doesnt say much)...you have to be prepared for the one year salary hit thou....ive been saving a little from each check for the last 10 months

i would like to know where the hell you work. at all the pharmacies I have been to it is crazy. No time for sitting. Just continuous running around. Even for pharmacists....counseling then back to verifying then off to the telephones.

Also, sparda is right every company I have been too gets angry if you sit down.

I know K Mart pharmacy have wooden stools, sometimes 3 of them in there for techs and interns too, not the most comfy ones but its decent to rest your legs once in a while

i have been applying to a local hospital for 2 years now. they seem to always hire someonelse. ive applied 8 times or so everytime a job opening arises.

Unfortunately most hospitals would rather hire a new graduate than a pharmacist with 5 years of retail experience. Most hospital pharmacists are very anti-retail and they look down on retail pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to tell you this but we have 2 openings but my DOP would rather hire new grads with hospital tech/intern experience then retail pharmacist. She doesn't even look at retail pharmacist's resume. Find a job in long term care and get some IV experience. After a couple of years in long term care, try to apply again.

Can you move or are you tied down to your location? If local hospital doesn't want you, start applying anywhere else that you are willing to move to. There are plenty of jobs out there if you are willing to relocate. And once you get in your foot in the door with hospital or home infusion, it's a lot easier to move to the next position.

If relocation isn't an option, then I'd recommend either shifting to part time work or quitting pharmacy and changing careers entirely.

Also, if you can't move then I'm not so sure an MPH or MBA will really help you. From the tone of your initial post, there is only local hospital to pick from. Realistically, they probably have all the business oriented people they need.

And an MBA probably won't help you move up the ranks of retail. In order to make district manager you basically need to look good, have a super positive attitude, and be willing to give people gift cards for the dumbest of complaints. Eg: My dog sneezed and it's your pharmacist's fault, I'm never coming here again! I'm sorry mam, I'll discipline the pharmacist and give you a $25 gift card.

right now i live in a small town maybe 50k people if im lucky. there is one hospital and about 10 retail pharmacies. the next closest hospital is 50 miles away. so my options are limited. i thought about a residency many times... but with three kids and an unforgiving student loan repayment plan i cant exactly put life on hold for a few years while i do one. i have seen some non traditional residencies but they seem to general and take up to 3 years to complete a one year residency. i also toyed with going back for a PA or MBA or MPH. whatever it will take to get out...

as far as the whole get a stool thing thats not possible. my store manager is a you know what. he says if we have time to sit around on a stool then we are wasting company time and money. stools are outlawed in the pharmacy. but funny thing is he has a nice comfy chair in his office.

Sorry to tell you this but we have 2 openings but my DOP would rather hire new grads with hospital tech/intern experience then retail pharmacist. She doesn't even look at retail pharmacist's resume. Find a job in long term care and get some IV experience. After a couple of years in long term care, try to apply again.

Well, they do have a point. Pharmacy knowledge is one of those "use them or lose them" kind of thing. After doing retail for 5 years, most knowledge in term of IV meds, kinetics, therapeutics are lost to the point that newly grad with hospital internships will probably easily know more in these areas. The hospital DOPs might have experience retraining these newly grads than than the retail ones.

This slave labor needs to stop, that is unbelievable. I know it sounds easy but try looking for a job at a different retailer.

I intern at Kroger and I sit down whenever I can. I've worked at busy stores and I still find time to sit down. Even if its just entering a few scripts in the computer, taking a phone call, etc. But thats only because no one has said anything, and if they did, I wouldn't listen to them. I'd go straight to my doctor and get a note saying that medically I must sit down through out my shift.

Its the same thing with eating. I eat whenever I want. I suffer from potentially serious hypoglycemia that requires me to get some form of nutrients every few hours. I don't care what policies a company has, they cannot discriminate against people who have any sort of valid health concern. Get your doctors note and take it to them. If they attempt to discipline you, get it in writing, get a good lawyer, and sue them. At the very worst you lose your job and you find a new retail position.

Retail pharmacy sucks, its true. But part of the reason it sucks is because pharmacists have let the retailers push them around. Stand up for yourself. Be one less cog in the wheel. You hate the job anyways........

right now i live in a small town maybe 50k people if im lucky. there is one hospital and about 10 retail pharmacies. the next closest hospital is 50 miles away. so my options are limited. i thought about a residency many times... but with three kids and an unforgiving student loan repayment plan i cant exactly put life on hold for a few years while i do one. i have seen some non traditional residencies but they seem to general and take up to 3 years to complete a one year residency. i also toyed with going back for a PA or MBA or MPH. whatever it will take to get out...

as far as the whole get a stool thing thats not possible. my store manager is a you know what. he says if we have time to sit around on a stool then we are wasting company time and money. stools are outlawed in the pharmacy. but funny thing is he has a nice comfy chair in his office.

well can you move? i think thats the most important question? if it is, try to get into LTC and then transition to a hospital....that might be the best move as your money hit wont be as bad

if you do a PA, you wont make as much as a rph, unless you hook on as a orthapedic or derm PA, but that has more training involved and $$ for schooling....i suppose you could work part time while in PA school....this is a good field thou, you can a lot of options and it seems interesting

again, no point of mba or mph unless you know what they will get you

there is no way a company can deny stools like that. if you can show a stool is not going to significantly interfere with the way the pharmacy runs its business, then they are required to give it to you by law or pay out big money.

I believe this is district specific. I have been through one pregnancy with CVS (as a tech, not a pharmacist), and all the staff at my store let me sit as much as I possibly could. and, I certainly didn't have any sort of signed form from my MD.

Suck it up and do a residency. It will give you the most options in the long run

easier said than done, there's only so many spots out there at this point in time and with the increasing demand for people doing a residency, unfortunately the grads that have been out of school for more than a few years wouldn't get that time of day...

there is no way a company can deny stools like that. if you can show a stool is not going to significantly interfere with the way the pharmacy runs its business, then they are required to give it to you by law or pay out big money.

Really? There is a stool law that requires them to give eveyone a stool? So is there an office of work place stool enforcement I can call and lodge a complaint? Oh goodie!!! They will have to pay out big money if they deny me a stool! Do you make this crap up all on your own or are you getting help?

Really? There is a stool law that requires them to give eveyone a stool? So is there an office of work place stool enforcement I can call and lodge a complaint? Oh goodie!!! They will have to pay out big money if they deny me a stool! Do you make this crap up all on your own or are you getting help?

Forgot everything from pharmacy school? maybe thats why your resume keeps getting tossed at the hospital.

Ever heard of the americans with disabilities act? It's in an employers best interest to not have to go to court over it.

What about equal opportunity employment?

Last edited:
So another thing that adds up with my gripes against CVS. Apparently some douchebag of a customer called corporate and complained that I was playing music from my personal iPod on an iPod dock because they didn't like my type of music. (Hard Rock, Metal, and Trance), so now we cannot play music in the pharmacy. Can't believe they'd actually do something as trivial as that because a customer complained.

I work for a Rite Aid. We really aren't allowed to have stools, but we have 3. Every time someone from corporate vists, they may mention it but they don't really do anything about it. Actually, my co-workers have told me that when our pharmacy manager was pregnant, they even had a beach lounge chair in the pharmacy so she could lay down from time to time lol.

In the UK you could sue for constructive dismissal. My last few years with bad hips and knees meant I either had a stool or I did not work. I found that use of a stool for even a minute or so while at the computer helped a great deal. As most of pharmacist's work is checking baskets of tech completed scripts, this is amenable to sitting on a stool.
johnep

So another thing that adds up with my gripes against CVS. Apparently some douchebag of a customer called corporate and complained that I was playing music from my personal iPod on an iPod dock because they didn't like my type of music. (Hard Rock, Metal, and Trance), so now we cannot play music in the pharmacy. Can't believe they'd actually do something as trivial as that because a customer complained.

I'd be bothered if I went into a pharmacy and heard that. It's bad for business, and you're deterring customers. They've got more priority than your freedom of music choice. There's a reason why CVS has a certain sound track in the background combined with advertisements. Marketers and analysts have poured over research data to make people comfortable in those stores, obsessing over how everything is lit and precisely placed. They don't want you ruining that.

I'd be bothered if I went into a pharmacy and heard that. It's bad for business, and you're deterring customers. They've got more priority than your freedom of music choice. There's a reason why CVS has a certain sound track in the background combined with advertisements. Marketers and analysts have poured over research data to make people comfortable in those stores, obsessing over how everything is lit and precisely placed. They don't want you ruining that.

You'd be bothered by hearing Three Days Grace?

Never heard of them, but do you get what i'm saying? Obviously this is an extreme example, but what if you heard marilyn manson in your pharmacy? What would patients think? there is some mysterious subjective line in terms of what's acceptable within a professional work environment.

The stool argument makes me think of previous threads. I have a whole new respect for independent pharmacies. We have only one stool but it's almost like a trap. If you sit on it, you become a target.

Others admonish you to grow a spine and get the stool. Is there a strong union for retail pharmacists?

Never heard of them, but do you get what i'm saying? Obviously this is an extreme example, but what if you heard marilyn manson in your pharmacy? What would patients think? there is some mysterious subjective line in terms of what's acceptable within a professional work environment.

What would patients think? This pharmacist is ****ing awesome. (Well the patients who are into that sort of music.)

What would patients think? This pharmacist is ****ing awesome. (Well the patients who are into that sort of music.)

sure, but someone may be (and will be) offended enough to call corporate and complain about music choices.

Whether or not you can sit on a stool has nothing to do with "retail burnout". Pharmacists become disenchanted or burned out for a variety of reasons: increased involvement from non pharmacy management, decrease in auxiliary help, a work schedule that is nowhere near conducive to normal hours, and best of all....... the realization that this is your future for the next 25 to 30 years. If anyone finds themselves in this situation it is his or her responsibility to change it. As for myself, I decided that anything would be better. I was willing to move my family and yes, even go back into the service. One of my friends actually did join the Air Force reserves and then went active duty. He too has no regrets after leaving a 10 year retail career. The question one has to ask themselves is which is worse, facing an unknown environment that might actually provide new and interesting challenges or face a job that one truly detests.
Just for the record, when I made the switch from retail to hospital I took a pay cut and was willing to move. After about 4 months from making my decision I found a job in a government facility and have no regrets.

I know, what is their problem. So today was another busy Monday at CVS, I finally got a few seconds to catch my breath from running around doing everything and I heard the song Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time It's FANTASTIC ~ Not really... :barf:

I went from WAG to staff at a hospital. I worked 10 hours today and feel fine, tired, but not wound tight like I would after 10 at WAG. Our pharmacy at WAG was allowed to have stools, though they weren't used much.

The pharmacy I'm at now I make fun of how many chairs we have, something like 20 chairs for 10 butts :D

hahah, i have stuff like rage against the machine playing...ever heard their lyrics? lol....i keep it at a lower volume, enough to keep me entertained but not loud enough for others to hear, having the loud parata machine helps too

I worked overnights so I could get away with most anything about 6 hours of the night. I actually ran a Sirius antenna into our roof so I could listen to Octane and ESPN radio all night.

I worked overnights so I could get away with most anything about 6 hours of the night. I actually ran a Sirius antenna into our roof so I could listen to Octane and ESPN radio all night.

this is the change we need

this is the change we need
So just sign-up for the overnight shift... and be sure to skip the extra serving of CVS (food analogy :p).

People complain about the stress and biological rhythm disturbances, but I think a lowkey, low stress environment is way healthier than a DM or PIC breathing down your throat during the day. Duh!!!... Lol

So just sign-up for the overnight shift... and be sure to skip the extra serving of CVS (food analogy :p).

People complain about the stress and biological rhythm disturbances, but I think a lowkey, low stress environment is way healthier than a DM or PIC breathing down your throat during the day. Duh!!!... Lol

We've said it before :D I completely agree with you there. I mentioned to my manager that I was looking to work nights only , when i got out, and he said so many people would be glad to have me do that in order to stop working nights. I'll be glad to oblige especially if it means a better chance at getting hired or getting the job i want.

I know, what is their problem. So today was another busy Monday at CVS, I finally got a few seconds to catch my breath from running around doing everything and I heard the song Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time It's FANTASTIC ~ Not really... :barf:

I LOVE Cyndi!

You're absolutely right, Sparda. The pharmacist should be able to play whatever music he/she wants. I think I'll go with polka. I'm sure no customer will be mad when they show up for their Disulfiram and hear the Beer Barrel Polka. Or no overweight woman coming in to pick up her Lipitor will be offended by hearing "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me! She's too fat for me! Much too fat for me!"

I used to work for a health-food chain store, and we had a rule that only music without lyrics could be piped in on the PA system. So jazz, classical, etc were OK. I live in a very ethnically diverse area and on multiple occasions, songs would play with lyrics that maybe we wouldn't bat an eye at, but which might offend the sizeable percentage of the clientele who came from a different background.

Of course, when the store closed for the night and we were sweeping up and fronting the stock, my manager's penchant for Madonna and Prince came out in full force =D

I used to work for a health-food chain store, and we had a rule that only music without lyrics could be piped in on the PA system. So jazz, classical, etc were OK. I live in a very ethnically diverse area and on multiple occasions, songs would play with lyrics that maybe we wouldn't bat an eye at, but which might offend the sizeable percentage of the clientele who came from a different background.

Of course, when the store closed for the night and we were sweeping up and fronting the stock, my manager's penchant for Madonna and Prince came out in full force =D

That means trance is IN!

many options here..however, with 3 kids and student loan(s) you know what your priorities are and retail pays the most. If you seek educational advancement to get out, it will add more stress to you financially and take more time out of family time. Suck it up, "burnout yourself" and not the kids, your spouse and the family $$$ account. Retail is tough, but only the tough can manage it...be focused here.:)

I'd say go look for an in-between job. Something along the lines of a senior care center or something like that. Your skills will rot but for some reason it looks better on a hospital application.

I have to ask though, so please enlighten me on this (I'm still a student). After 6 years in retail do you feel you still have the knowledge to work in hospital doing anything other than IV work? I'm not downplaying you by any means but I'd hate to fight tooth and nail for a job that in the end I wouldn't be able to perform in.