Titration question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Golden-Future

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10 mL 5 M calcium hydroxide is required to titrate 50 mL hydrochloric acid. Which of the following gives the initial concentration of the acid?

So I though that you find the moles of Ca(OH)2 and then that equals the moles of HCL. Then divide the moles of HCL by the volume of HCL.

(1 x 10^-2 ) (5 x 10^-1) = 5 x 10 ^-3 moles / 5 x 10 ^-2 L HCL = 0.1M

But the answer is apparently 1/5 M. I'm confused, does it have to do with the fact that its a strong acid being tit-rated and somehow half the moles of the base are needed.




EDIT: I get it its a 2:1 molar ratio of HCL to ca(OH)2
 
Last edited:
I got 0.1mol/50 mL of HCl, which is 2 M concentration, not 1/5M. Can you explain how you got 1/5 M?

where is this question from?

This is from Khan academy.
It is a 2:1 molar ratio of HCL to ca(OH)2.

Multiply moles of ca(OH)2 by 2 to get moles of HCL. (5 x 10^-1)

(1 x 10 ^-2) (10 x 10 ^-2) = 10× 10^-4 moles HCL

10 x 10^-4 or 1 x 10^-3 moles HCL

1 x 10^-3 / 5 x 10^ -3 = 1/5 M
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is from Khan academy.
It is a 2:1 molar ratio of HCL to ca(OH)2.

Multiply moles of ca(OH)2 by 2 to get moles of HCL. (5 x 10^-1) Shouldn't this be 0.05mol Ca(OH)2 * 2 = 0.1 mol HCl?

(1 x 10 ^-2) (10 x 10 ^-2) = 10× 10^-4 moles HCL Why are you doing this step?

10 x 10^-4 or 1 x 10^-3 moles HCL

1 x 10^-3 / 5 x 10^ -3 = 1/5 M Shouldn't this be 5 * 10^-2 for 50mL

I'm not following you here, and want to make sure I know whats going on. This is what I do (being extra verbose to help follow along):

First convert everything to liters (I hate how scientific notation looks without superscripts, so sticking to decimals):
10mL = 0.01L
50mL = 0.05L

Then the math:
M = (mol/L) becomes mol = (M * L)
5M * 0.01L = 0.05mol Ca(OH)2
2mol HCl to 1 mol Ca(OH)2
so
0.05mol Ca(OH)2 * 2 = 0.1mol HCl
Back to M = mol/L:
0.1mol / 0.05L = 2M HCl

Not sure how they get 1/10 of what I am doing

I tried finding the problem on Khan and couldn't can I get the link?

Note: You could also simplify the calculations since you are just looking to find the exact molar ratio of H+ to OH-
IE: mol OH- = mol H+, so:
M * L (OH-) = M * L (H+)
5M * 10mL * 2 (Account for 2 OH)= x * 50mL = 2M HCl
Since mL will cancel, no need to convert to liters first.
 
Yes, I did make a mistake in my reply. And I like roman numerals b/c it helps me work with the numbers easier.

Find the moles of Ca(OH)2:
(1 x 10^-2 L ) (5 x 10^-1 M) = 5 x 10 ^-3 moles Ca(OH)2

That equals the moles of HCL but multiply by 2 b/c 2:1 molar ratio: 5 x 10 ^-3 moles x 2 = 1 x 10 ^-2 moles HCL

Now divide moles HCL by the liters of solution: 1 x 10 ^-2 moles HCL/ 5 x 10 ^-2 L HCL = 1/5M HCL

Here is the link: Titration questions

Its question #9
 
I found KA passages helpful for P/S, but useless for the other sections. For the sciences, they were unrealistic and the explanations were often incomplete. Their videos can be helpful if you need a refresher on a topic, but you should stick to AAMC and reliable books for passages ad questions.