TMDSAS LORs for a non trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Let 7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question has been addressed in previous threads but I couldn't really find anything specific to the Texas application process.

I am about 5 years out of undergrad and preparing for the upcoming application cycle to medical school. I noticed on the TMDSAS website they request only 2 letters of recommendation if you do not have a committee letter packet from your undergrad institution. I was not planning on organizing a packet with my undergrad school (and it is probably a bit late now anyways) but I'm worried about only submitting 2 recommendations when other traditional applicants will have 5+ with a committee packet.

Have any non traditional applicants who have applied to Texas schools without a committee packet of recommendation letters and had any problem with just submitting 2? Do you think it would be a disadvantage to have a fewer number of LORs then with a pre-med committee packet?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can submit three LORs to TMDSAS,unless they have changed it from the 2013 application--two primary and one optional. I submitted letters from two professors (an OChem professor and an EMS Captain who taught my paramedic class) and one business colleague (CEO at a engineering company I worked for). At least two interviewers commented on the high quality of the LORs. They never mentioned missing a committee letter.

So, I think what matters most is that the letters be well written and that you know the writers will recommend you highly. I don't think it was a hindrance in any way not to have the committee letter. I also think that the three letters were sufficient. It worked for me at any rate. ;-)

You can submit three LORs to TMDSAS,unless they have changed it from the 2013 application--two primary and one optional. I submitted letters from two professors (an OChem professor and an EMS Captain who taught my paramedic class) and one business colleague (CEO at a engineering company I worked for). At least two interviewers commented on the high quality of the LORs. They never mentioned missing a committee letter.

So, I think what matters most is that the letters be well written and that you know the writers will recommend you highly. I don't think it was a hindrance in any way not to have the committee letter. I also think that the three letters were sufficient. It worked for me at any rate. ;-)

Thanks for the reply! I took a closer look on the TMDSAS website and you are right; they ask for 2 letters but will also include the optional 3rd. It's good to hear you didn't have any problems submitting without a committee letter and was just the reassurance I was looking for :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Any advice on what kind of letters are preferred? Is it okay if we submit one letter from a prior professor and two more recent letters from more recent jobs, or is it recommended that we submit two letters from professors that we took classes from and one more recent recommender? (In this case, I think the letters from the more recent recommenders would be stronger)

Any advice on what kind of letters are preferred? Is it okay if we submit one letter from a prior professor and two more recent letters from more recent jobs, or is it recommended that we submit two letters from professors that we took classes from and one more recent recommender? (In this case, I think the letters from the more recent recommenders would be stronger)

Look at your target schools because there are a couple that request certain ones (don't remember now). Maybe an employer if you've been out of school a while? I feel like UTMB might have been on of the specific ones? Anyway, you can call or email admissions where you are applying, and they are very helpful. I did 2 science profs and my volunteer coordinator; I chose the latter because she knew me (and my work ethic) better than my boss.

I applied and used a science, non-science, and employer LORs. They only require 2 really but you need to be mindful of each school's requirements. I didn't have any issues and managed to get an interview at UTMB as an OOSer.