TMDSAS Waitlist Help (Letter of Intent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepAustinWeird

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a TX resident who unfortunately did not receive a match on Match Day after interviewing at 5 TX MD schools. My rank was:

1) UT Southwestern
2) Baylor
3) McGovern
4) UTMB
5) TTUHSC

I have been placed on 4 WLs at this point, and am currently only waiting for UTSW to provide me with an update if I am on the waitlist or not (I have heard they take time in making their waitlist, so go figure). I would like some expert opinions from those familiar with TX cycles on if a Letter of Intent would be necessary to boost my chances of getting off of a waitlist.

The only thing is I already sent a Letter of Intent to UTSW post-interview before match day. My pre-med advisor at my university told me that it would be ok to send another LOI after failing to match and being put on WLs. My family is pressuring me to send a LOI as soon as possible. Personally, I feel that with no significant updates (and it only being around a week and a half since Match Day), sending a LOI would have no substantial effect. Additionally, I don't know if it would be perceived as a negative or not if I sent out two LOIs this cycle, even if one was from off the waitlist.

My personal opinion is that it would be more beneficial to send out update letters in a month or so, as I am already planning a number of EC activities that I will beginning during that time and it would look better if I have these activities included in the update. What do y'all think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

UTSW is just sending out WL emails today, so wait & see if you made it to their WL before doing anything.

Only send a letter of intent to 1 school, if that's still UTSW for you, send it there.
Texas Tech doesn't put everyone on their WL nor does UTMB, so making at least to their WL is good.
Most action will be starting late March >> early April and beyond.

Thanks for the reply! I actually found out that same day that UTSW put me on their waitlist. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have any idea as to how selective UTSW is with their WL? I know Baylor usually puts everyone who didn't match on their WL, and was wondering if UTSW was the same and they just delayed the release of it.