TNF and TB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of the UW q explanation says that TB releases cord factor which induces tumor necrosis factor.

TNF is from macrophage so it's the TB cord factor that induces macrophage to release TNF right?

Also, why would TB want to do this? Won't increased TNF make TB more vulnerable?

Members don't see this ad.

So one of the UW q explanation says that TB releases cord factor which induces tumor necrosis factor.

TNF is from macrophage so it's the TB cord factor that induces macrophage to release TNF right?

Also, why would TB want to do this? Won't increased TNF make TB more vulnerable?

TNF induces granuloma formation which encloses TB protecting itself from being killed by our immune system

Reactions: 1 user
The reason above is also why you have to have a TB test before you get started on a TNF inhibitor. If you have TB and are started on one of those medications, the granulomas will break down and you can get disseminated TB. TNF is required for the maintenance of granulomas. That point helped it stick for me

TNF induces granuloma formation which encloses TB protecting itself from being killed by our immune system
Correct, but it's the other way. Once the granulation formation occurs, three cytokines are made: TNF, interferon (which mediates macrophage transformation), and 1 hydroxylase.

If your T cells and macrophages are healthy, you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct, but it's the other way. Once the granulation formation occurs, three cytokines are made: TNF, interferon (which mediates macrophage transformation), and 1 hydroxylase.

If your T cells and macrophages are healthy, you will be fine.
What is 1 hydroxylase? I've never heard of that

It's just listed with the other two in the Notes, there is no explanation for it, I am not sure exactly what it is. It may be something that has shown up on an old NBME, that's why it was printed in.

Got it, so TNF is good both for TB and good for us f
What is 1 hydroxylase? I've never heard of that
it's 1 alpha hydroxylase. Macrophage upregulates vit D synthesis so it jacks up the 1 alpha hydroxylase which increases Ca2+ absorption. This is why in the summer sarcodoisis symptoms get worse.