To all IMGs who matched!!!!!WHERE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeaan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!Hope all of you got into a program of your choice..It would be nice if you could take a few moments to write down.....

The speciality you matched....
Where you matched....
Your USMLE scores....
Your country of medical school....
Any add-ons like research ,previous residency etc..

If you have time you are welcome to add where all you interviewed so that all IMGs out here can get a fair idea of the Programs which are IMG friendly in each speciality...other than for IM there's hardly a list on this anywhere on the web..if anybody knows of any then plz add the link here..

The IMGs who are already in the residencies are also welcome to add their experiences and about the IMG friendliness of the program they are in...Plz also write about the UNIVERSITY programs in USA which you know take IMGs.

This forum undoubtedly must have helped all IMGs in many ways..this would be an ideal way to give back some to the forum and help the future IMG applicants with dreams of getting into their favourite speciality here in USA.

This sure would be appreciated by all and also it would be nice to know from the list of familiar names about who matched where.:)
Thanks everybody!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

OK. I will go first.

I matched in Preliminary Medicine at SUNY Upstate at Syracuse for 2004 and in anesthesiology at SUNY Upstate for 2005.

USMLE:
Step I - 87/214
Step II - 95/235

Saba University School of Medicine: Netherlands Antilles, The Caribbean

No research but a Master's Degreee in Hyperbaric Medicine at Saba.

US citizen

Good Luck to everyone.

Thanks...hope there will be more coming..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm an FMG too... Matched into Emergency Medicine at The Hershey Medical Center/Penn State University. My scores were as follows:

Step I - 98/242
Step II - 99/257
Step III - 85/225

I graduated from the Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
And I am a Pakistani citizen...
Lemme know if I can be of any help.
-samdaman

hello there.
i am a 30 years old male, graduated from a humble medical school in manila last 1998.
i am not the best student in my class.

i did two years of residency in the philippines, and fate made me to look again in the prospect of tackling the USMLE's and matching for a residency slot in the USA.

i studied by myself for the USMLE steps 1 and 2 and the CSA.
got all the books and materials which i thought are necessary and read them. by heart.

also, i assimilated all the pieces of advice i got from everyone. littelest they may seem, but all were nuggets of gold to me.

i sought our 'elders' to write me strong letters of recommendation and asked my school's dean to make me a very good dean's letter.

my personal statement i composed for a whole week. make that two. for it to be outstanding, yet modest and true. i even asked a friend's friend to help me out.

wrote down all my academic accolades and clinical experiences for my curriculum vitae. it was a very short list.

then went to USA for the CSA.
and interivewed to eight programs from the twelve calls i got.

i aimed to leave a good impression with the interviewing faculty. needless to say, that is different from impressing the interviewers.
i was eager but composed.
conveyed i am confident of what i can offer,
yet reassured them i have a lot to learn under their tutelage and care.
i was interesting as i was interested.
smiled alot. becasue i really do smile alot.

followed up my application by sending thank-you letters and letters of intention.

while waiting for the match outsome, i studied and took step 3.

i matched with a university program for ob/gyn.

i think this is a very likely story for people who went through the match.
but what i like to underscore is that
PREPAREDNESS, FOCUS, HARDWORK, PERSEVERANCE and BEING RESPONSIBLE for the choices we make
are the keys to success. For the Match or otherwise.

And, by the way, I always ask and seek Our Lord God's approval in every step of the way.
Surely, He will lead the way.

handthatheals said:
hello there.
i am a 30 years old male, graduated from a humble medical school in manila last 1998.
i am not the best student in my class.

i did two years of residency in the philippines, and fate made me to look again in the prospect of tackling the USMLE's and matching for a residency slot in the USA.

i studied by myself for the USMLE steps 1 and 2 and the CSA.
got all the books and materials which i thought are necessary and read them. by heart.

also, i assimilated all the pieces of advice i got from everyone. littelest they may seem, but all were nuggets of gold to me.

i sought our 'elders' to write me strong letters of recommendation and asked my school's dean to make me a very good dean's letter.

my personal statement i composed for a whole week. make that two. for it to be outstanding, yet modest and true. i even asked a friend's friend to help me out.

wrote down all my academic accolades and clinical experiences for my curriculum vitae. it was a very short list.

then went to USA for the CSA.
and interivewed to eight programs from the twelve calls i got.

i aimed to leave a good impression with the interviewing faculty. needless to say, that is different from impressing the interviewers.
i was eager but composed.
conveyed i am confident of what i can offer,
yet reassured them i have a lot to learn under their tutelage and care.
i was interesting as i was interested.
smiled alot. becasue i really do smile alot.

followed up my application by sending thank-you letters and letters of intention.

while waiting for the match outsome, i studied and took step 3.

i matched with a university program for ob/gyn.

i think this is a very likely story for people who went through the match.
but what i like to underscore is that
PREPAREDNESS, FOCUS, HARDWORK, PERSEVERANCE and BEING RESPONSIBLE for the choices we make
are the keys to success. For the Match or otherwise.

And, by the way, I always ask and seek Our Lord God's approval in every step of the way.
Surely, He will lead the way.

Congratulations
I am considering OB-GYN my self (2nd choice to IM)
Could you maybe post your scores?
Had you done any research?
Thanks

Congrats handthatheals! Given the new knowledge, do you know, if all other factors being equal, can a female get a preference over male for ob/gyn residency? I heard the other day on Bloomberg that Ob/Gyn's are leaving practices in droves these days, as they are getting tired off defending and paying for MP insurance, that hardly leaves anything for the take home pay. Then some folks say, Ob/Gyn is getting very uncompetitive to get into (because of obvious factors), almost next to FP and IM. Is that true in your opinion? Are there really too many docs presently chasing few diseases in the generally healthy USA and these too many docs, being chased from behind, by an even bigger pool of MP lawyers, that can't let them rest a bit? Looking at my friend's plight in finding a residency, I promised myself not to let my kid go into a medical school. Extreme oversupply situation imho ... not worth it!
BTW: What were your step-1 and 2 scores? if you don't mind sharing.