To all my SDN haters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I promise after I get in to Stanford I will retire my SDN account. I just really need the support right now. I've wanted this for so long that it is driving me crazy that I am so close but no there yet. I'm sure many of you feel I should be grateful that I at least have an acceptance, but I implore you to empathize for a moment.. Imagine you had a 3.77 with a 35M, 3 years of clinical experience, 2 publications (extensive research in digoxin), mission trip to Honduras, head teaching assistant for biochem lab, accomplished pianist, varsity athlete (track), and esl and all you wanted to do was to go to a school to be near your sibling. I just want to get in to the school of my dreams just as much as you. So for anyone that thinks my pipe dream of Stanford is stupid I pray that you gain some real life experience and empathy during your tenure at medical school. For those who have sacrificed just as much and can understand what it is like to have a dream thanks for the support.

Members don't see this ad.

If what's important is being in the bay area, maybe you should apply to TUCOM.

ucsf and davis aren't that far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop calling the kettle black. We don't mind that someone has a lofty dream for their school. We mind that you have a massive ego, you're rude, inconsiderate and immature.

ok here's a tip for the next time around: don't insult everyone and then ask for empathy from them. there are a lot of people going crazy over certain schools, but you are acting like a deranged pscyho. what's that novel? crime and punishment. ring a bell? your motto should be stanford or insanity. if you cant handle a rejection from stanford, then how can you expect to handle the trials and tribulations that are inherent to a physician's career or even to life in general?

Originally posted by irie
When you say "varsity track", you aren't talking about high school track are you?

They have non-varsity teams at UCLA. e.g. club, intramural, etc

Originally posted by irie
But why would you mention being on a team that anyone with two legs can be on?

Hey it is just what I did in college. It is better than being apart of some premed club.

Originally posted by doctorcynical
I promise after I get in to Stanford I will retire my SDN account. I just really need the support right now. I've wanted this for so long that it is driving me crazy that I am so close but no there yet. I'm sure many of you feel I should be grateful that I at least have an acceptance, but I implore you to empathize for a moment.. Imagine you had a 3.77 with a 35M, 3 years of clinical experience, 2 publications (extensive research in digoxin), mission trip to Honduras, head teaching assistant for biochem lab, accomplished pianist, varsity athlete (track), and esl and all you wanted to do was to go to a school to be near your sibling. I just want to get in to the school of my dreams just as much as you. So for anyone that thinks my pipe dream of Stanford is stupid I pray that you gain some real life experience and empathy during your tenure at medical school. For those who have sacrificed just as much and can understand what it is like to have a dream thanks for the support.

Just one thing to say to that...

+pity+

Hayward field. It has been 5 years now. I only ran my freshman yr. (injury) I can't tell you what event. Otherwise some wise guy will look me up.

TTSD. Nice quote by Gleevac.

Perhaps you didn't know, but that is a phrase in common usage. Get off the computer and take your head out of your @$$.

I'm crying for you... let me tell you. +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
i think your lofty sense of entitlement will keep you on sdn for a very long time. you say 'pity me.' i say 'pity us.'

You remind me of the reason why I have developed such an intense dislike for most premeds. That's I all have to say.

Hey doctorcynical!

I understand that you love Stanford and want to go there so badly. I have the same sentiment towards UPenn. However, you should really respect the people in the forum and their need for support. We are not ignoring you. It is just that there are better ways of achieving the same goal. I wish you the best of luck with Stanford. I hope you get that acceptance soon. :)

Thanks man! :D I am obsessed about UPenn, but can you blame me? Please do not answer that! :laugh:

You're condescening and spoiled. You believe that numbers are everything. You believe that you're entitled. You start off by saying imagine this. Well, many of us have great numbers. I've won several awards, Harvard Student, 35S and I feel priveleged to even have the chance to attend medical school. When I'm on my death bed, I'll be pleased by the work I've done, the man I am, not the medical school that I'm going to. By the way, I didn't get into Stanford too. Imagine that a Harvard Student not getting invited. I should call them, better yet, call for me.

If interviewers actually see past that condecending and selfish attitude and you actually get accepted to medical school (Stanford or not), I pity the patients who will be under your care with that attitude.

Wow, I think this is the first real post I've seen from cynic. Ever wonder if you have too much time on your hands? Maybe getting a real hobby would help.

Originally posted by LP1CW
You're condescening and spoiled. You believe that numbers are everything. You believe that you're entitled. You start off by saying imagine this. Well, many of us have great numbers. I've won several awards, Harvard Student, 35S and I feel priveleged to even have the chance to attend medical school. When I'm on my death bed, I'll be pleased by the work I've done, the man I am, not the medical school that I'm going to. By the way, I didn't get into Stanford too. Imagine that a Harvard Student not getting invited. I should call them, better yet, call for me.

If you're being serious with this post you're no better than DC.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
If you're being serious with this post you're no better than DC.

I think he was being sarcastic.

doctorcynical, as annoying as you are, I really liked the "I've got some good news and some bad news" thread. It made me laugh!

Originally posted by SachinG
You remind me of the reason why I have developed such an intense dislike for most premeds. That's I all have to say.

Well, all I have to say is that it's ironic how mr.cynical is being criticized for having confidence. In addition, ppl are saying he's the typical pre-med that you don't like being around/dealing with. NEWS FLASH..all of y'all are like that. You are living in a dream world if you don't think that you haven't been self righteous one bit. If you're not confident, you shouldn't be in this kind of field. We all have an intense desire to be a part of the medical community someday. Where's the understanding here?? To each his own. Cynical may come off as sounding cocky, arrogant, etc. but he has worked his patoot off for this dream. Let him be. If you don't like what he has to say then don't read it.

p.s-sorry for sounding annoyed, I just had a bad interview today.

TexasGirl, it's not about having confidence. You need a certain amount of confidence.. you can't have you head bowed all the time.

But if you go back to his earlier threads, he asks for advice, or asks them in a very condescending cocky manner, and then when people reply, if it's not the reply he's looking for or from the target group he wants, he becomes extremely arrogant and abrasive to the people trying to answer his questions and is quick to point out those faults in other people as well.

Originally posted by ATPase
doctorcynical, as annoying as you are, I really liked the "I've got some good news and some bad news" thread. It made me laugh!

Doctorcynical has had some other good ones too. C'mon, the pink power ranger one was great because it spawned a serious discussion of the actress who played her. And part of me wishes he goes through with the chocolate and flowers for the Stanford adcom.

I can't believe people are still taking the good doctor's posts seriously. In my judgment, he probably has an alternate identity on SDN or has posted here in a serious fashion before.

Take his posts for what they are: hilarious and provoking threads that mean nothing at all.

coops

Good luck, doctorcynical. I got to spend a little time on Stanford's campus the other day (job-related, unfortunately). Very sweet.

joined Feb 2004
today is 13days into Feb
post count is 227
daily posts is 23.60
if it sounds like a duck, it is a duck,
troll anyone?
:idea: :sleep:

Doctorcynical, a troll? No way!! :)

He's also posted about the inferiority of DOs and started an AA thred. My guess: He's some bored HS or college kid who hasn't even taken the MCATs yet.

Originally posted by TTSD
I think he was being sarcastic.

I don't think he was at all. Here's a little gem of his:

I'd match my intellect against your feeble mind any day. Where do you go school *****? Which medical school did you get into?

There's certainly no shortage of a**holes in the premed pool, and I can only laugh at someone trying to backpeddle because there pomposity and arrogance has left them unable to make friends even online.

To the OP, I think that you just don't get it. You say "I just want to get in to the school of my dreams just as much as you." But most people aren't hung up on the idea that there is one and only one school that they want to get into. This post shows how much your motivation is not to be a doctor or to practice medicine. Most people in the pre-allo forum just really want to practice medicine, and if they didn't get into their first pick, but did get into a good school, they'd be happy.

People like you should spend more time questioning their motivations. You've done a lot, if all that you claim is true, and I'm not one to doubt your claims. But if you ask me, you wasted a lot of time, because you've failed to understand what you really want, and you've failed in the modest atsk of garnering support from the people that are generally highly supportive.

Am I the only one reminded of the movie Orange County?

I promise after I get in to Stanford I will retire my SDN account.

Crap, you're going to be here FOREVER then? Ugh... :wow:

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
Maybe LPC1W and Doctorcynical are the same dude. :idea:

Yeah I think so, did anyone else notice how terrible LPC1W's writing and spelling is for a Harvard Student [sic] who got a 35 S?

If it makes you feel better, DrC, not going to Stanford won't affect your future earnings potential the least bit.

Doctorcynical,

You seem EXTREMELY fixated on attending Stanford to become a physician. You really need to examine WHY you want to become a doctor in the first place. There are plenty of other med schools out there and if you truly desire to become a doctor then you will be content with attending almost any school. You are so attached to one institution, you really should explore the psychological underpinnings of your fixation! You seem to have some serious issues.

yea, just send in your letter of intent to stanford, then go grab a beer with your buddies. that's what i did. just ride it out...if you get a phone call on a thursday night, more power to you. if you get a thin envelope in the mail trying to cushion the blow of your rejection, f*ck it. go race a mazda3 at the rev it up or test drive a range rover on their obstacle course. now, that's fun. :D

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
Doctorcynical has had some other good ones too. C'mon, the pink power ranger one was great because it spawned a serious discussion of the actress who played her. And part of me wishes he goes through with the chocolate and flowers for the Stanford adcom.

Don't worry I am FTDing the hell out of Stanford.

Hi DocCynical I'm down with you....... don't let haters get you down.......

and yeah one thing I do have to say is that getting in to meds (especially higher tier schools) IS infact (usually anyhow) all about the numbers........ soooooooooo keep on dreaming Stanford may only be a few months away!

here's some luv for you:love:

Whoever said love is free was broke. Whoever said numbers don't matter had subpar stats. If stats don't matter why do we have them. And the only reason med schools ask for letters of rec and interviews is so they can justify when they let URMs and alumni who aren't up to par with stats. If you don't think it happens trust me. When Hunter Williams III gets in because his great grandfather was alumni the school will justify it by his interview. You think I am joking, trust me on it. I'd say 75% of acceptances are based on the number crunch. You'll have a few who are spectacular interviewers but aside from that we all look the same. Sad but true. All the extra stuff is for schools to cover their arse.

Originally posted by ocean11
Hi DocCynical I'm down with you....... don't let haters get you down.......

and yeah one thing I do have to say is that getting in to meds (especially higher tier schools) IS infact (usually anyhow) all about the numbers........ soooooooooo keep on dreaming Stanford may only be a few months away!

here's some luv for you:love:

Originally posted by Nutmeg
I don't think he was at all. Here's a little gem of his:

I'd match my intellect against your feeble mind any day. Where do you go school *****? Which medical school did you get into?

There's certainly no shortage of a**holes in the premed pool, and I can only laugh at someone trying to backpeddle because there pomposity and arrogance has left them unable to make friends even online.

Hey Nutmeg, where did you get the quote from LP1CW? I'm not familiar with his/her threads so I'd like to see this quote in context. Thanks :)

USNEWS rankings. How do you think they calculate it. A big portion of it is the numbers and alumni donations. Schools want connected people with high stats. If you think schools don't care about their rank they do. Why else do schools broadcast the fact they are a top ten school.

Originally posted by tautomer
If interviewers actually see past that condecending and selfish attitude and you actually get accepted to medical school (Stanford or not), I pity the patients who will be under your care with that attitude.

Don't worry tautomer. I will probably end up being your boss. :clap:

Don't worry tautomer. I will probably end up being your boss. :clap:

You know what cynic..I stuck up for you but there is no need to say what you just said. I am not judging, but it does sound obnoxious. I mean if you really think that way, then you shouldn't have to say it. For future reference, just keep those kinds of comments to yourself. Always remember what goes around comes around. You can definitely change, you just have to want to.

;)

Originally posted by Texasgirl7
I am not judging, but it does sound obnoxious.

Then please, allow me. You are a troll DrC.

Sorry, but I just disagree I don't think he's a troll.......

he's right in saying that numbers are almost everything. TRUST me I know........ here in Canada it dosn't matter who you know if your GPA falls below the cutoff (ie: U of T is 3.6) then they AUTOMATICALLY discard your application into the 'reject' pile. At Queens Univ its 3.55 and Western I think it should be 3.70 this year! Even schools like McMaster which claim that you have a shot if you have a 3.00 or above STILL count your GPA as 50% of your (possible interview) score.

All the schools here count your GPA as at least part of your eligibility score, most at least 50% and the others use it as a flag. Maybe things are different in the US but here in Canada number are pretty much everything! those with special connections to schools are not usually given prefference (although I'm sure its happened once or twice).

The only way you can hope of being accepted with a 'sub-par' GPA is if you're a Native Indian (other than that no URM is favored).

ocean11 you are from Canada eh? Are you applying to US schools? Good luck with the process. I feel your pain on the numbers game.