To all those considering alternate careers because of work-life balance concerns...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavitarynodule

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a pre-med 10 years ago...

Everything I read online about work-life balance concerns and doctors regretting their career choice almost scared me away from going to med school. I was extremely close to going into pharm, dentistry, or multiple other fields because of this fear.

Now I am nearing the end of residency (Internal Med) and going onto pulmonary/critical care fellowship. I was reflecting on how happy I am that I made the choice to go ahead with med school and remembered how I was almost scared away from it so wanted to share the perspective I've gained. Basically, I want to assure everyone here that may have the same concerns that work-life balance should NOT be the main thing that steers you away from medicine.

Yes, you work pretty hard during medical school and residency. Each year generally gets easier as you get better at your job. There is an ever-increasing focus on well-being in residency and residencies generally don't work you into the ground anymore (except some surgical specialties), and a handful of specialties actually have very relaxed hours in residency.

What I did not realize when I was a pre-med is how completely controllable your lifestyle is once you complete residency. Physicians are in such high demand that you can basically dictate the hours you work and someone will rush to hire you.

Recent grads of my program and current co-residents are being offered 200k+ to work 10 12-hr shifts per month as hospitalists (in very desirable locations). To make that much while working an average 25 hours per week is absurd in my opinion, I don't care how hard you are working (as an aside, at one of these gigs the hospitalist literally gets paid this much to show up and sleep all night because residents do most of the admissions). Most primary care doctors I have worked with work 4 days per week (which the main appeal I saw to being a dentist). Moreover you can work even less if you want and still make over 100k doing locums work. I've commonly seen lawyer spouses of co-residents hear about our job offers and hours and lament they should have went into med school. There are many fields in medicine but the common theme in almost all of them is that once you are done with training you can control your hours and work less to make less (but still a ton of money).

Ultimately you may (like me) choose to work more than a few hours per week because you find a field that is really fun for you, but at that point it's your decision.

tl;dr: If you think you may enjoy medicine don't let work-life balance scare you away from it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 35 users
Good message, I will definitely consider this.

Members don't see this ad :)
The age-old advice of life is what you make it

There's also a tendency to "grass is greener" other fields. To make big money in law, finance or tech -- which is very possible -- you also have to put in many years of long hours. You just have fewer guarantees...

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t really care about the money, I just want a job that I can learn a lot and feel mentally fulfilled

If someone can give a devil’s advocate and rebut this please do

I'm glad to hear that because I definitely see myself wanting to have time to spend with family so it's nice to have these options when that time comes.

Annual Work Hours Across Physician Specialties

“Doctors” is a very, very broad category. This study looks at work hour distributions across specialties, which I think is the more interesting thing.
So about 54 hours per week on average. That isn’t bad, hoping to be on the low end of that however. I’d love to work no more than 35 hours spread over M-F or 36 hours spread over 4 days. I would work those hours even for 120k or so.

So about 54 hours per week on average. That isn’t bad, hoping to be on the low end of that however. I’d love to work no more than 35 hours spread over M-F or 36 hours spread over 4 days. I would work those hours even for 120k or so.

I don’t doubt there will be opportunities to do that, esp. in certain specialties that focus on mostly outpt practice.

And I don’t mind putting in the serious hours at first, but I’ll be 41 as an attending and really want to be there for my future kids.

Would it be realistic for a surgeon to work that few hours once established?

My buddies a surgical resident so I know how extreme resident life will be lol. Gets maybe a couple days completely off a month sounds like.

I don’t doubt there will be opportunities to do that, esp. in certain specialties that focus on mostly outpt practice.
Work Emergency medicine. Put in 36 hours a week make about 300k, it’s a good field.

There’s more to those hours than a sub 40 hour work week
Yeah but even with charting overflow it isn’t bad compared to many specialties, and if you look at research on the topic EM works significantly less than even primary care and the least of almost any specialty.

Yeah but even with charting overflow it isn’t bad compared to many specialties, and if you look at research on the topic EM works significantly less than even primary care and the least of almost any specialty.

Well there must be some other reason than the number of hours for the highest burnout rate (60%) in medicine (someone else feel free to chime in)

Well there must be some other reason than the number of hours for the highest burnout rate (60%) in medicine (someone else feel free to chime in)
Lot of other specialties that have reasonable work loads

Attachments

• C38FA0AD-3BEB-4093-8CF8-15E6141A023A.jpeg
    C38FA0AD-3BEB-4093-8CF8-15E6141A023A.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 87