To all you lurkers out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is fun to lurk and not post. But it is even more fun to throw yourself out there and participate. Welcome all. We want to hear from more of you - particularly those who are going through the application process - your impressions, concerns, etc. You can even be Bruce Wayne and not divulge your secret identities.

Look at me, I used to be a scrawny weakling who would go to the beach and have bullies kick sand in my face and leave with my blonde goddess potential girlfriend (Alli with an "I"). But now, thanks to this forum, I am stronger and more confident and, god willing, I will win that all-valley karate tournament and get my revenge on those evil skeleton people that beat me up after the dance.

SWEEP THE LEG. You have a problem with that?
No, Sensai

Members don't see this ad.

Because you've become the big badass that you are, the lurkers are too scared of ya :laugh:

nothing like lurking on a saturday night...

cobra kai never die...

Members don't see this ad :)
Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?!
No, Sensei!
Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?!
No, Sensei!
Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?!
No, Sensei!

Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything (Mr. Miyagi)

Man who go to sleep with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger (Confucius)

Oh great! I've done it again...derailed another thread off topic.

Please forgive me oh great and mighty yaah. I beg you to not smite me with your lightning bolt farts.

"SDNPath changed my life!"
"I lost 106 pounds in 7 weeks!"

~
Yes, see we warmly welcome new posters!
I have noticed a recent surge in new names too.

Everyone is bright, funny and has something original to say.
Perhaps not on the first post, but it gets easier.

And you will help us get our thread-count up (I'm really not talking about cotton percale bed-linen) - with this post we are only 9 threads behind the eye guys!! :D

Threads Posts
Opth 778 5,105
Path 769 6,332

deschutes said:
"SDNPath changed my life!"
"I lost 106 pounds in 7 weeks!"

You two were not who I had in mind when I was talking to lurkers! ;)

But yes, coming soon, we will also officially have a "low carb" section of the forum where low-carb posters can meet to discuss ways to an improved, "it's called a diet so therefore it must be healthier," lifestyle. Our forum provides 50% lower carbs than other forums.

Because, as we all know, vital nutrients that are part of important metabolic pathways should be banned because they make us fat.

gk1.gif

deschutes said:
And you will help us get our thread-count up (I'm really not talking about cotton percale bed-linen) - with this post we are only 9 threads behind the eye guys!! :D

Threads Posts
Opth 778 5,105
Path 769 6,332

It's not the #threads, it's all about the #posts :)

I remember a month ago or so when we were a couple hundred posts behind those who I called the opticians.

Who's our next victim? Who shall reign supreme?

IM?
Anesthesiology? (in my mind, they have the most ppl lurking there)

yaah said:
You two were not who I had in mind when I was talking to lurkers!
I could tell and did not think so!

Are we scaring people away by being too enthusiastic? ;)

~
Hello lurkers... I have a question for you -
What makes you not post?

yaah said:
You two were not who I had in mind when I was talking to lurkers! ;)

Actually there were 3 of us: joedogma, yelper, and myself.

But maybe yaah got a leeeeeeetle too drunk at that wedding :laugh:

Okay, okay. I admit it. I am a bit of a lurker. Alfred Hitchcock believed that watching movies was the highest form of voyeurism. This is epitomized in his classic Rear Window starring Jimmy Stewart. I guess SDN would be a new form of voyeurism. Anyway, I have been leaning towards path throughout medical school and as I trudge through 3rd year it is becoming more and more apparent that path is what I will ultimately do. Besides, pathologists are inherently more attractive than any other specialty. So I hear, anyway. I will now come out of the shadows and post along side the SDN pathology giants like Yaah and Andy. Join me fellow lurkers!

Hello everybody-

I've been lurking for quite a while now, but I figure it's about time I out myself as a wannabe pathologist. I have learned quite a bit about path from lurking in this forum for about a year and I appreciate everyone's insight. Y'all can also be pretty darn funny and make a great study break. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and hopefully I can post not too infrequently. If I make it through OB-Gyn and surgery that is...

Ooh look at them coming out of the woodwork! *bounce*

Emaline, I plead ignorance - what is your avatar? I thought it was a pretzel, but then noticed it has an eye and looks plush. Good luck for Ob/Gyn!

~
== Derailment warning ==

I never understood how dieting could be about eating less carbs and more of everything else. I thought keeping healthy was about eating less of everything - or rather, eating only as much as one needs.

I've started recommending med school as a great way to lose weight.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a plush ebola virus toy. You can get your very own at

http://www.giantmicrobes.com/

My brother sent me the Malady collection as a gift last year. Funny stuff!

:) Back to placental abnormalities. Hydatidiform moles are kinda cool...

What makes you not post?[/QUOTE]

I don't think I count as a lurker anymore, since I'm officially registered and have thereby signed my life away...but in the olden days of yore, I guess I didn't post anything, because everybody on the forum seemed to already be part of a community, and it felt sort of weird breaking in...you know, kinda like crashing a party where you really don't know anyone.

sandyworks said:
What makes you not post?

I don't think I count as a lurker anymore, since I'm officially registered and have thereby signed my life away...but in the olden days of yore, I guess I didn't post anything, because everybody on the forum seemed to already be part of a community, and it felt sort of weird breaking in...you know, kinda like crashing a party where you really don't know anyone.

Screw that! Join the party. We don't bite.

sandyworks said:
in the olden days of yore, I guess I didn't post anything, because everybody on the forum seemed to already be part of a community, and it felt sort of weird breaking in...you know, kinda like crashing a party where you really don't know anyone.
Hmm. I guess I wasn't around then.

I did think in passing that I was gate-crashing, but I started posting the day I found SDNPath :D so I did not have time to get anxious. It was love at first sight... :love:

I have to admit I lurked for about 2 weeks before I started posting.

From my own experience, I can see why people may hesitate to start posting. But all it takes is that first post and the rest is history. For me, I made my first post after I was mentally loosened up and buzzed before taking the plunge.

I never minded people lurking though. But when people do contribute it's always nice and hopefully they feel welcome. I never felt unwelcome when I started posting which was a definite plus.

BamaAlum said:
I will now come out of the shadows and post along side the SDN pathology giants like Yaah and Andy. Join me fellow lurkers!

2 things BamaAlum:

1) Yaah is a giant. I am a midget.
2) I haven't technically entered the field of pathology yet. Hopefully the path gods will smile on my application as I trudge through the 2005 application season.

Glad you could join us.

Hey, they have giant microbes at the med bookstore! The Flu is the darlingest, IMHO.

orthomyoxvirus.jpg

If I still have any money in my bank account when I graduate, I'm going to get one for my baby sister.

Emaline said:
Hydatidiform moles are kinda cool...
A true pathologist! ;) I've seen preserved ones. I itch to poke at them.

AndyMilonakis said:
2 things BamaAlum:

1) Yaah is a giant. I am a midget.

He's right, you know. ;)

Emaline I thought that avatar was a GUMMI WORM (I like candy). Silly me, I guess. I am going to have to remember that site for gift giving season.

In regards to people feeling like they don't want to interrupt the community, well, no one needs to feel that way. Every thread we have already gets derailed as it is! The more the merrier! I mean, you don't have to respond to every thread if you don't want to, but pipe up please if you have viewpoints or other opinions (unless it's about salaries, grrrrrr ;)).

We like people to crash the party. Crash away.

Well, I'm not sure I count as a lurker, since I've posted on rare occasions, but I'm pretty close. What makes me not post? Well, honestly, I rarely have any new insights that haven't already been discussed at length by our keyboard wielding pathological defenders (i.e. yaah, AndyM, and others...)... alas, my fingers can not dance quite so merrily nor as quickly across the keys as the Chosen Ones' can. :laugh: As for who I am... I'm a PGY-3, R-2 path resident (yes, I did an intern year, as in days of yore, for the clinical experience). Try and stifle your gasps of astonishmont and disgust, all of you anti-Clin med folks! :)

AndyMilonakis said:
Screw that! Join the party. We don't bite.

Not unless you won't us to ;) . Right Andy.

Hi folks! Long time lurker here... I have heard the siren call and have dragged myself out of the shadows. It's really easy to be passive and enjoy the prose of Yaah and others.

FYI... for those with long SDN memories: I saw the Great Pumpkin himself last weekend. He looks good. Weird to actually see people in person you've only interacted with on the net.

garfield said:
Hi folks! Long time lurker here... I have heard the siren call and have dragged myself out of the shadows. It's really easy to be passive and enjoy the prose of Yaah and others.

FYI... for those with long SDN memories: I saw the Great Pumpkin himself last weekend. He looks good. Weird to actually see people in person you've only interacted with on the net.

Where is the Great Pumpkin? I haven't seen him post on here in a while. That dude is the original SDN path guru.

I read this site religiously, but until today haven't posted anything. I'm a 4th year at Jefferson in Philly. There are around 10 of us applying to Path this year. It's a bit frightening!

Hi! I'm yet another long-time lurker (yep, I fondly remember the Great Pumpkin days of yore). You guys have me so enthused about pathology that I've managed to convince my spouse to apply for a couples match with me in path this year. Sounds crazy, I know, but we look good on paper and are applying to 30 programs all over the place. Hopefully we'll run into some of you on the interview trail. :luck:

skoller: It's not that crazy to couples match into path. We had a couple in our program a few years ago. A couple of couples interviewed here last year. Hopefully, you're looking at the bigger path programs, though, to make your chances better. Good luck! :)

Thanks, garfield. We may need to add a couple of larger programs to our list (although given its length I'm pretty sure at least some of them are big). We are applying in a few cities that have more than one program, too. Just curious: what program are you in?

Lurker?? who me??? ....never!! ...ok maybe :oops:

another lurker (but a future radiologist). I mostly enjoy reading the anti-infernal medicine threads and insights which are so right-on!

scootad. said:
another lurker (but a future radiologist). I mostly enjoy reading the anti-infernal medicine threads and insights which are so right-on!

All of our misguided friends in other fields are more than welcome here. ;)

We even had a radiology moment today. The omphalocele baby we had an autopsy on needed full body xrays to look for bony abnormalities.

Just so you all don't think pathology is all easy days, today was my second 13 hour day in a row (today I had 2 lectures, an autopsy, 2 hours of slide signout, some grossing of placentas, and some time to review slides for a conference tomorrow. And I still had time for lunch and flirting with a hot girl. So there!

I'm joining the lurkers jumping into the fray. I'm an MSTP student at Iowa (in the graduate phase) and I just decided to do path a few months ago. You folks definitely helped me make up my mind :D

Hold it - I'm not done with the giantmicrobes yet!

We went for Vietnamese today. I was staring at my glass of honeydew bubble tea, wondering where I had recently seen such a familiar image...

orthomyoxvirus.jpg

Bubble tea rocks! I never knew they made a HONEYDEW bubble tea.
Thai iced tea rocks too!
Both are bad for you.
But both are oh oh soooo goooooood.

beary said:
I'm joining the lurkers jumping into the fray. I'm an MSTP student at Iowa (in the graduate phase) and I just decided to do path a few months ago. You folks definitely helped me make up my mind :D

AMEN! HALLELUJAH! Another med student has seen the light-tah! God be praised-dah! Another soul has been saved-dah!

Okay, okay, I'm outing myself too. Actually I have posted one whole time before on this board, but generally I can't seem to find anything useful to add to the vast wisdom of the regulars here.

Guess I'm a little slow on the draw compared to most folks here, but I just hit the ol' button not 5 minutes ago. After days of micro-editing, just took a deep breath and did it. I think I'm gonna be sick... :scared:

That's ok cytoborg. Some people when they go swimming like to get wet one inch at a time over a period of minutes to hours. Others cannonball it in with a running start. Both end up wet.

yaah said:
That's ok cytoborg. Some people when they go swimming like to get wet one inch at a time over a period of minutes to hours. Others cannonball it in with a running start. Both end up wet.

Yaah,
That was very Yoda-esque.

If I was being Yoda I would have said, "Others with running start cannonball in it they do. Both wet they end up. Hmmmmmmmm?"

yoda.jpg

Stay and help you I will.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You just made my day.

So what is a cytoborg anyway? Are you referring to the mechanized slide thing described here? http://www.ld.ru/catalog/firms/cytomation/cytoborg.html

Cytoborg are you russian? Since I am half Polish by ancestry that would mean you have oppressed me for too long and we must duel.

Russian always looks like a mirror image of english. You know, write a sentence down, hold it up in front of the mirror, and it looks like russian.

I'm a lurker. You path people intimidate me which is why I don't post much. I'm shy. :D

Seriously, I am very interested in pathology even though I'm only a first year and haven't had a chance to experience any of my clinical rotations yet. There is something about not having to deal with patients that appeals to me. And no, I didn't say that in my interview. :)

Tiki said:
There is something about not having to deal with patients that appeals to me. And no, I didn't say that in my interview. :)

shh...keep that on the down low for the next 2 years ok? ;)

:D Welcome Tiki

i have lurked and i have enjoyed
i went to med school because i desparately wanted to become a pathologist....now, my personal statement proclaims to the the world that i belong to that other strange race: ob/gyn :eek: .....please don't kick me out for that!
i think you guys have WAY more fun over here....def. more my personality/style. sshhh......just don't tell anyone on that 'other' forum.....!