To any Ross University Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harbindoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any Ross University Grad give me a detailed response to your experience with the match? I have looked at their web site and the match list looks avg for any specialty I would want to go into...ie peds or OB/Gyn. However, I have heard that Ross Grads have to try 2 or 3 times before actually matching. Is this accurate? I am applying to med school in June, and I will apply to Ross as a back up plan if I don't get in the US. I know all of the negative aspects of being a FMG and don't really need any advice on the subject, I am just wondering about match experiences. Thanks!!!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine went to Ross. She is currently doing an internal medicine residency in a small community hospital . She did well on step I and could have gotten into a lower tier university program at best, but she did not get a single interview offer from more competitive places. Her husband, on the other hand, also a Ross grad, did not match, and he is currently applying again. At this point, he is looking at family medicine, internal medicine, general surgery....pretty much anything. He barely passed step I though. I also know someone from Ross who applied to general surgery last year. He applied to over 100 places and did not get a single interview!!! Don't know about his stats though.

I think you are better off being a grad of the worst US medical school than Ross in terms of getting a residency spot at a respectable place. Even if you rock step I, you are still from a foreign med school, and the possibilities are very much limited. I may be wrong, since my opinion is in no way based on any sort of statistical analysis, just some personal experiences. If I did not get into a US school on my first try, I'd take a year off and strengthen my application (retake MCAT, do research, volunteer).

I am currently a student at Ross, albeit a dissapointment, yet as I have stated in a prior post getting into a canadian medical school compares to your "Ivy league" schools (my MCAT V=8, PS=11, E=Q, BS=10, cgpa 3.3-3.4 a bad first year in engineering and medical pre-requisites ~3.6). Now all this nonsense aside certainly it must be harder for a FMG to obtain a residency in a competitive speciality and in a university hospital...yet it makes me wonder why, when as of yet two dear friends of mine have scored 210, and 227 within and above the USMLE mean while another has scored 225, and frankly compared to some of the AMGs I have met they would make far better doctors...these descisions by residency directors must then be based on prejudice and ignorance (are these your american ideals??..one would agrue to the contrary). My advice to any prospective Ross student is apply as need be to your local american schools and if you don't succeed decide whether you want a career in medicne or not...and don't think for a second that american medical education is of such a quality that to travel elsewhere is to belittle your self...Oh yes let us not forget that competitive residencies are based on either money and/or lifestyle the two greatest pillars of medicine...what a truely sad state of affairs!

I would rather do an opthomology residency in Georgia (the country) and practice in Nigeria giving people sight than be surrounded by ignorance.