To anyone accepted to Mt. Sinai...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotcb

---------
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long after your interview were you notified of acceptance? How did you hear? Letter? Call? Both? I really liked Mt. Sinai and am anxiously waiting for the mail each day. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm right there with you! I interviewed late November and I'm anxiously awaiting news! I'm wondering if they send out acceptances before rejections or holds. Mebbe I'm in that pile or something. bleh.

Hi there...
I interviewed in mid November, and got a letter at the beginning of January. Hope that helps.
-zan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dotcb-
I was there on the first day of interviews (mid-October)and did not receive my acceptance until the beginning of January. They are really backed up this year so don't get anxious if it takes a long time for them to get back to you.
Good Luck- I relly liked Mt. Sinai also- very laid back :p

Did you guys get asked any hard questions? You each had 2 interviewers right? How long did they each last roughly?

The thing that stood out to me about my interviews at Mt. Sinai that made them different from those at other schools is that they are on a pretty tight schedule of 30 min each. They conduct the interviews in these tiny little cubicle rooms (sort of like secret passageways) and they have a clock sitting right on the desk in front of the interviewer. I didn't find this time limit to be too much of an intrusion, but you just need to make sure you say what you really want to convey in those 30 min. Good luck and it is not a stressful day at all. Very mellow and happy students (READ :p ass/fail).

E'01- both my interviews were a little odd- they were about 30 minutes each. The first guy who interviewed me had me sit on a little stool (it looked like a big mushroom). He sat in a chair and looked down on me the whole interview- which really was not an interview at all- he spent most of the time telling me how great I was - but spent the rest of the time explaining that great people don't always get in. The second guy interviewed me in a tiny little room and just asked me a stream of the usual questions- motivation/ experience/ what you do for fun.
There were no ethical or policy questions- and when I talked to the other 2 student who interviewed that day they had both had similar experiences.

thanks for your input people, and that last post should read pass/fail. Somehow there seems to be a smiley face where I wrote the P.

Thanks Dr.G and doctb! I appreciate you both sharing your experiences :)

Hi E...
One of my interviews at Mt. Sinai, I thought, was my worst one. The interviewer was a young doc who had REALLY READ my file. He had hilighted parts of my app, and basically asked me to explain every one of them. I got the sense that he was trying to stress me out a bit through his sarcastic responses to my answers. Didnt really work, but just a bit uncomfortable. The other interview was AWESOME. The interviewer basically put his feet on the desk and we chatted for about 30 minutes about little having to do with medical school. For some odd reason, those are always the best ones :)

The students at Sinai are awesome, and the program seems really great!! I am sure you will do wonderfully!

Z :)

Both my interviews at Sinai have been the best I have had so far. Both were really laid back. At the end of the interview, I was ahead of the interviewer and I didn't exactly look to see how he opened the door when we walked in. So I kinda got stuck b/c I couldn't tell if the door was a push or pull or slide contraption! But both interviews were wonderful with two very very nice doctors. There were no tough questions. Just a lot of me rambling on about things and then explaining my research. Very basic questions and very laid back.

Oooooooh my worries and tremblies are slowly disappearing! I feel so out of the loop since my last interview was back on October 30th....wow 3 months later, I'll be at Sinai...I've forgotten what's on my app. Thank you guys for the encouragement! Scoob you had me laughing (WITH you) on that door experience. Zancudo - your experience sounded like my Cornell one - one interviewer was awesome and the next one spent about 10 minutes total with me.

Hi Guys,

I just received a Mt Sinai interview it is for March!!!!!!!

Has anyone received an interview for this late?

It makes me kinda nervous cause this school is rolling admissions.

I had my interview in mid october and basically have similar things to say. Those rooms used for interviews are entirely absurd and unwelcoming and the little motel clock/radio thingie is annoying. Plus, my first interviewer kept getting paged and he'd answer them all, which wasted precious minutes...

EXCEPT that was all the bad stuff, on the + side, it IS laid back and I think my interviews went well, although not the best that i've had so far (the best were probably Yale, Penn, NYU, Rochester). They're really not out to stress you, but out of the 11 schools i've interviewed at, NONE have been the 'stress interview' so many are worried about getting. Don't sweat being out of the loop--I too will be interviewing again soon and actually kind of look forward to travelling more (not paying more, though!). :)