to anyone that studied abroad their junior year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you do when you needed recommendations? Did you just ask your professors from soph year, or did you get any recommendations from professors abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

I studied abroad spring semester of my junior year. I emailed profs while I was abroad and asked them for rec letters. I gave them a little update about what I was doing abroad and whenever I was in the city, and had access to email, I asked them. I actually had my roommates print out my transcripts, CV and other stuff to give to them. It all worked out well and my letters were in June.

One thing that may pose a problem if you study abroad in the spring is getting your personal statement ready and apps turned in. I took the MCAT this past August and worked and had no time to work on aps. I got mine in Aug 31st. which is fine, but all my interviews are really late. This really hasn't had a detrimental effect, but it's nicer to have confirmation that you are in to schools early on.

oh by the way, studying abroad was the best thing i ever did in my life. seriously. i am happy that you are going to do it. i had an awesome experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
VeggieGal said:
oh by the way, studying abroad was the best thing i ever did in my life. seriously. i am happy that you are going to do it. i had an awesome experience.

I completely agree.

The second best thing I did in my life was taking the year off after I graduated, thus waiting to apply to med school until senior spring. It was nice to be able to take the MCAT in the summer (after returning from being abroad junior year) and not have to deal with either balancing MCAT with class or worrying whether my August results would slow down the application process. Also, that allowed me to ask profs. from my senior year for recommendations, which is especially helpful if you're doing a thesis and want that professor to write a great recommendation.

It is REALLY nice to have this year to work and not worry about school- for me, it seemed easier to balance interviews and a job rather than interviews and class. Plus, taking the year off has given me great fodder for interview conversations :)

Have fun abroad!

I agree also...going abroad was the most amazing experience. I went during the spring semester of my junior year so I asked professors for recommendations before I left. One was a professor from my soph year, one was a research advisor, and one was from fall of my junior year. If you know of any people that you definitely want to ask, I'd recommend asking them before you go and possibly meeting them in person.