To aPD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winner123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When programs review the applications do they read all the LORs and the Personal Statements before inviting anyone for an interview?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. Before we invite someone for an interview, we read everything in their file. If I had a stellar candidate who only had 2 LOR's in, I might invite them without waiting for the 3rd letter. I'm sure it would be fine, no point in waiting.

On the other hand, if I'm reviewing an application and I'm not impressed, I might not read all of the letters / PS. Usually I at least glance over the LOR's, but I might not read them completely.

If you're asking: do I read every application completely before offering anyone an interview, the answer is no. There is no way to do this. Every day we receive more applications and more LOR's/transcripts/etc for the apps we have, so it's a moving target. Instead, we have a certain number of interview spots and we know (in general) what level of quality applicant we need to select to fill those slots. Candidates that clearly will exceed that threshold get invited on a rolling basis. Candidates who clearly are not going to make the cut are rejected. Those in the grey-zone-middle are kept active, and if we have spots left open we search through and choose those who rise to the top.