This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lowid009

Reaction score
Hello I recently graduate from the University of Georgia with a 3.66 GPA and am debating applying this cycle. I am studying for the MCAT now and taking it early August. I have my letters of recommendation, a years worth of lab experience, volunteer hours (clinical and nonclinical), but only around 50 shadowing hours.
I may need more volunteer hours and need to raise my MCAT score from a previous bad score last August.
I will need to formulate my essays and personal statement at least partially while studying for the MCAT (may not be best for studying purposes).
I had originally intended on applying next cycle in order to raise my MCAT score, work as a scribe as well as try and get more shadowing hours.
I know I could complete an application to apply this cycle (1 gap year), but it would not be my best application. Is it worth applying this cycle (1 gap year) anyways and then again next cycle (2 gap years) if needed?

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t rush the cycle like i did. Apply when you’re ready. I ended up not taking this advice, and took an involuntary gap year anyway

Reactions: 1 user
DO NO APPLY THIS CYCLE!

Apply when your app is at its strongest. It is incredibly difficult to write a well crafted application (Personal statement, activity descriptions, secondary essays) while trying to study for the MCAT. Also your MCAT test date is very late to apply this cycle even if you had everything already done.

Your EC's as you described them are very weak as well - work on them throughout the year.

It would be unwise to apply this cycle.

Focus solely on the MCAT - kick ass, work on your EC's and start preparing your app to apply next cycle. If you do this you will be a much stronger applicant next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user