Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello from Greece everyone,
Well I got my MCAT score back and wasn't really expecting anything high. I went against any logic and took it in April a week before leaving for a quarter abroad in Greece. I had everything set to go to apply except the MCAT to apply, and thus thought might as well give it a shot in order to apply in June. Took a quick Princeton Review course, skimmed all the books, and 2 practice exams.
Ended up getting a 29Q, which is not horrible but isn't even close to what I want for my UC schools. In the end, I've learned that next time's studying will consist of rounds and rounds of practice tests. Also, I'm taking the last OChem this summer so I didn't have that under my belt. Basically the message is that I rushed the test to go to Greece and wasn't comfortable the day I took it. I blew it but am so grateful I have this experience in Greece.
So, now I have stats of 3.63, 29Q (anti-stellar), but I feel like my extra-curriculars/recommendations/interview skills are high quality. I don't even want to apply to UC schools because I 1) don't have a chance currently and 2) don't want to disgrace my school, myself, and my family.
My target is UCSF. It's a top notch school near my family in the Bay Area (in which I want to stay). It's just sad because I don't have the stats for UCSF right now. On my desk overlooking me as I am studying are two objects: Portrait of my great grandfather and the textbook main-edited by my grandfather. Both are alumni of UCSF. One dean of the MD school and other did residency there before other things. They are my idols. For life and my career.
The question is should I sacrifice that dream of attending UCSF (or any UC) and try for more modest schools considering my stats aren't horrible right now. Advantage: get my MD one year earlier
But I don't even know if I'll get in. Is it even worth it to apply? btw I'm a junior
Or should I work my butt off this year and aim to raise my GPA and MCAT (actually taking more than 2 practice tests and having second semester of OCHEM under my belt)...thus, actually having a chance to capture my dream and keep the family tradition going.
Sorry for the long blabbering. I guess I just needed some help from pre-meds. My parents are non-medical and I don't like bringing up my low-performance with my grandfather because it hurts me to know that I'm not living up to his standards.
Well I got my MCAT score back and wasn't really expecting anything high. I went against any logic and took it in April a week before leaving for a quarter abroad in Greece. I had everything set to go to apply except the MCAT to apply, and thus thought might as well give it a shot in order to apply in June. Took a quick Princeton Review course, skimmed all the books, and 2 practice exams.
Ended up getting a 29Q, which is not horrible but isn't even close to what I want for my UC schools. In the end, I've learned that next time's studying will consist of rounds and rounds of practice tests. Also, I'm taking the last OChem this summer so I didn't have that under my belt. Basically the message is that I rushed the test to go to Greece and wasn't comfortable the day I took it. I blew it but am so grateful I have this experience in Greece.
So, now I have stats of 3.63, 29Q (anti-stellar), but I feel like my extra-curriculars/recommendations/interview skills are high quality. I don't even want to apply to UC schools because I 1) don't have a chance currently and 2) don't want to disgrace my school, myself, and my family.
My target is UCSF. It's a top notch school near my family in the Bay Area (in which I want to stay). It's just sad because I don't have the stats for UCSF right now. On my desk overlooking me as I am studying are two objects: Portrait of my great grandfather and the textbook main-edited by my grandfather. Both are alumni of UCSF. One dean of the MD school and other did residency there before other things. They are my idols. For life and my career.
The question is should I sacrifice that dream of attending UCSF (or any UC) and try for more modest schools considering my stats aren't horrible right now. Advantage: get my MD one year earlier
But I don't even know if I'll get in. Is it even worth it to apply? btw I'm a junior
Or should I work my butt off this year and aim to raise my GPA and MCAT (actually taking more than 2 practice tests and having second semester of OCHEM under my belt)...thus, actually having a chance to capture my dream and keep the family tradition going.
Sorry for the long blabbering. I guess I just needed some help from pre-meds. My parents are non-medical and I don't like bringing up my low-performance with my grandfather because it hurts me to know that I'm not living up to his standards.