Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI all,
I'm new to SDN and am in need of some serious guidance. I'm currently a psychologist and am just starting to prepare for MCAT - possibly summer '08. Here are my stats:
Graduated from a top 5 school in 2000 w/ ugpa of 3.5, BCPM 3.3
Took the Mcats in '99 as an aspiring undergrad doc and bombed with a 24. Was highly encouraged by the pre-med advisor at the time (the one and only person who would be writing the lor to med schools) that I was not cut out for medicine with a 24 mcat. Being young and naive, I, rather unfortunately, listened to her.
Went on to grad school for degree in school psychology and graduated with a 3.9 (no hard core science courses, just social science).I've been a practicing psychologist for the past five years and have recently realized that my true passion continues to lie in medicine (you all know the story I'm sure). So, here I am, diligently preparing for MCATs by teaching myself the subject matter.
Now, for my questions:
Seeing as I'm "rusty" on some of the pre-reqs for med school, should I audit certain classes I feel weak in (organic chem and physics, namely) or should I retake these courses for a grade? (I'm thinking if I elect to be graded, it will show med schools that I'm still capable of handling the rigors of science classes all the while working full time). There are some post-bac programs in my area but they're insanely expensive and wouldn't allow me to continue working full time. Therefore, I would take these courses on a part-time basis at a more affordable university.
Now, more importantly, if I do decide to re-take these for a grade, will amcas compute them in the BCPM gpa despite the fact that I already took the courses almost ten years ago?
And one last question - for now 🙂
Is it advisable to garner some extra higher level science courses before applying just to, again, demonstrate to schools that I'm capable of handling the courses? Assuming, of course, that I score 30 or above this upcoming summer on MCAT.
Thanks!
p.s. if you've gotten this far, sorry so long!
I'm new to SDN and am in need of some serious guidance. I'm currently a psychologist and am just starting to prepare for MCAT - possibly summer '08. Here are my stats:
Graduated from a top 5 school in 2000 w/ ugpa of 3.5, BCPM 3.3
Took the Mcats in '99 as an aspiring undergrad doc and bombed with a 24. Was highly encouraged by the pre-med advisor at the time (the one and only person who would be writing the lor to med schools) that I was not cut out for medicine with a 24 mcat. Being young and naive, I, rather unfortunately, listened to her.
Went on to grad school for degree in school psychology and graduated with a 3.9 (no hard core science courses, just social science).I've been a practicing psychologist for the past five years and have recently realized that my true passion continues to lie in medicine (you all know the story I'm sure). So, here I am, diligently preparing for MCATs by teaching myself the subject matter.
Now, for my questions:
Seeing as I'm "rusty" on some of the pre-reqs for med school, should I audit certain classes I feel weak in (organic chem and physics, namely) or should I retake these courses for a grade? (I'm thinking if I elect to be graded, it will show med schools that I'm still capable of handling the rigors of science classes all the while working full time). There are some post-bac programs in my area but they're insanely expensive and wouldn't allow me to continue working full time. Therefore, I would take these courses on a part-time basis at a more affordable university.
Now, more importantly, if I do decide to re-take these for a grade, will amcas compute them in the BCPM gpa despite the fact that I already took the courses almost ten years ago?
And one last question - for now 🙂
Is it advisable to garner some extra higher level science courses before applying just to, again, demonstrate to schools that I'm capable of handling the courses? Assuming, of course, that I score 30 or above this upcoming summer on MCAT.
Thanks!
p.s. if you've gotten this far, sorry so long!